Baseball, Sports

Mustangs tee off on Dirtbags in 10-0 rout

Behind two big innings, the Cal Poly Mustangs made a statement against the Long Beach State baseball team at Blair Field Friday night, taking the first contest of a three-game series, 10-0.

Coming into the game, the Dirtbags (20-19, 6-7 Big West Conference) sat two games behind Cal Poly (19-17, 9-4 Big West) in the Big West standings, yet Dirtbags ace Andrew Gagnon and company couldn’t pull out a win.

Gagnon gave up five earned runs in seven innings even though he struck out nine batters.

“That wasn’t a very good game by us,” Dirtbags head coach Troy Buckley said. “We didn’t pitch very well and the team didn’t execute pitches.”

For seven innings, the Dirtbags played competitive baseball, but couldn’t escape two big innings from Cal Poly that resulted in nine combined runs.

Gagnon (4-6) gave up four runs in the third inning, while Jake Stassi, who relieved Gagnon, gave up another five runs in the eighth.

Stassi failed to record a single out before being pulled out in favor of Nate Underwood.

Gagnon got into early trouble in the first inning when the Mustangs loaded the bases thanks to a single by center fielder Mitch Hangier and back to back walks by double play duo Matt Jensen and J.J. Thompson. Hangier would go on to score the first run of the game off a wild pitch by Gagnon.

All seemed at ease until Cal Poly added four more runs in the third that would put the game out of reach. The Dirtbags ace would surrender five hits in the inning, including three doubles and two singles.

In the eighth inning, Jake Stassi would come on to pitch for LBSU, but the Mustangs wouldn’t let him find his groove en route to a five-run inning — two of which unearned. Stassi would fail to record an out, prompting Buckley to bring in Underwood to end the inning.

Meanwhile, Mustangs pitcher Mason Radeke (7-1) induced eight infield fly outs in seven innings of work against the Ditrbags. Radeke, who leads the conference in strikeouts, allowed no runs while striking out four.

The Dirtbags finished with just six hits. LBSU’s infielders Matt Duffy, Michael Hill and Mike Marjama each turned in two singles.

“We didn’t do anything offensively,” Buckley said. “It looked like we didn’t know how to play in our own park. That needs to get better. We need to put the ball in play and put some pressure on the defense.”

During the Mustangs five run eighth inning, Dirtbags left fielder Jeff McNeil went back on a deep drive by Cal Poly’s Elliot Stewart and landed awkwardly near the fence. Play was halted for five minutes as trainers rushed out to check on McNeil. Fortunately, the freshman outfielder was able to walk off the field on his own power and appeared to sustain no major injuries, however, he did leave the game.

“I think he had a slight concussion,” Buckley said. “We’ll reassess him tonight and see how he is. It sounded like he hit his head on the fence pretty hard.”

Stewart’s drive resulted in a ground-rule double that plated two more runs for Cal Poly.

The series will continue Saturday at Blair Field. First pitch is scheduled for 5:30 pm.