Baseball, Sports

Sophomore guides Dirtbags to victory over Cal Poly

Sophomore Juan Avila drove in the go-ahead run in the bottom of the eight inning to lead the Long Beach State baseball team to a 4-3 victory over Cal Poly on Saturday at Blair Field.

Tied at 3 with a runner on third in the eighth inning, Avila hit Frankie Reed’s first pitch for an RBI single to right field to give the Dirtbags (21-19, 7-7 Big West Conference) a one-run lead they never relinquished.

“I knew [Reed] had a fastball away,” Avila said. “That’s what I was looking for, and that’s what I got.”

LBSU’s closer Eddie Magallon took the mound in the ninth and gave up a base hit on his first pitch before hitting the second batter.

From there, Evan Busby came up to bat for Cal Poly (19-18, 9-5 Big West) and showed bunt. However, Busby’s bunt popped foul and was caught by Dirtbags’ catcher Royce Murai.

LBSU then picked up a double play on a ground ball by Mustangs’ pinch hitter Bobby Crocker to close out the game as Magallon earned his ninth save of the season.

Kyle Friedrichs (3-2), who picked up the victory, came in the eighth to relieve the Dirtbags’ starting pitcher Branden Pinder.

Friedrichs induced three fly outs, the last of which came on a diving catch by left fielder Jeff McNeil to close the inning.

“I really think I had a shot,” McNeil said about his mindset before making the grab.

Buckley added: “It was a top-10 [catch] … ESPN deal.”

McNeil’s diving catch in the eighth overshadowed his collision with the left field wall in the first inning. Mustangs’ leadoff hitter Mitch Haniger ripped a pitch deep to left field that drove McNeil back into the wall for a leadoff triple, which ended up being first run of the game.

Reed (1-3) came in on relief for the Mustangs in the seventh inning, but picked up the loss after giving up the go-ahead run in the eighth.

The Dirtbags and Mustangs will close out their three-game series at Blair Field on Sunday at 1 p.m.