Softball, Sports

Beach softball sweeps doubleheader against Highlanders

The Long Beach State softball team scored 19 runs in two games to sweep a doubleheader, 8-4 and 11-2, from UC Riverside at Amy S. Harrison Field on Friday.

Six 49ers finished with multiple RBI on the day, with Christina Schallig, Alisha Rosen, Nalani St. Germain and Hannah De Gaetano each driving in three in the doubleheader. 

The 49ers (37-15, 15-5 Big West Conference) and the Highlanders (12-33, 5-15 Big West) wrap up their three-game series at Noon on Saturday. 

Game 1: Long Beach State 8, UC Riverside 4

Alisha Rosen tied a career high with three RBI to lead Long Beach State to an 8-4 win over UC Riverside in the first game of a doubleheader at Amy S. Harrison Field on Friday.

UCR built a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first on a bases loaded walk and a sacrifice fly, but  LBSU answered with three in the top of the second without the benefit of a hit. 

Jennifer Madigan led off the inning with a walk and moved to second on a wild pitch.  Liz Javier reached on a fielder’s choice when UCR tried to throw behind Madigan but failed to get her out.  After a fly ball to right and a walk by Dana Garcia loaded the bases, Bree Stephan and Rosen drew back-to-back bases loaded walks to tie the score 2-2.  De Gaetano gave the 49ers a 3-2 lead with a sacrifice fly to center field scoring Garcia.

Long Beach State added a run in the top of the fourth to make it 4-2.  Rosen drove in the run with a sacrifice fly scoring Garcia, who led off the inning with a double. 

UCR added a run in the bottom of the fifth on a solo home run, but LBSU countered with four in the top of the sixth. 

Rosen picked up her third RBI of the game with her second sacrifice fly, scoring Garcia who led off the inning with a walk and moved to third on a double by Stephan.  De Gaetano delivered an RBI single up the middle scoring Stephan to make it 6-3.  After a throwing error on a ball hit by St. Germain allowed pinch runner Emily Gregorio to move to third, Madigan came through with an RBI single to left to give LBSU a 7-3 lead. 

St. Germain made it 8-3 scoring after the pitcher’s throw sailed into left field on a delayed steal by the sophomore second baseman.  UCR added another run on a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth.

Freshman Erin Jones-Wesley (22-5) picked up the win for the 49ers, while Jordyn McDonald (8-15) took the loss for the Highlanders.

Garcia led the 49ers on offense going 2-for-2 with three runs scored, while De Gaetano went 2-for-3 with two RBI. 

Game 2: Long Beach State 11, UC Riverside 2 (6)

Christina Schallig and St. Germain combined for five hits and six RBI to lead Long Beach State to an 11-2 win in six innings and a doubleheader sweep of UC Riverside Saturday at Amy S. Harrison Field on Saturday.

UCR jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first for the second straight game, and just like in the first game, the 49ers rallied with three runs in the top of the second.

De Gaetano cut the lead to 2-1 with a bases loaded walk, and Caitrin DeBaun followed with a two-run single off the third baseman’s glove to put the 49ers on top.

LBSU added six runs in the top of the third.  After a leadoff walk to Javier, Schallig blasted her seventh home run of the season to left field to put the 49ers up 5-2.  St. Germain added a bases-loaded double scoring three after the 49ers loaded the bases with a pair of walks and a throwing error by the Highlanders.  Madigan followed with a RBI single scoring St. Germain to make it 9-2.

The 49ers pushed the lead to 11-2 with two more runs in the top of the sixth. Schallig doubled to left scoring Javier and Megan Denio added a RBI single to center to score Schallig. 

Taylor Petty (6-4) picked up the win for the 49ers, while Casey Suda (2-12) took the loss for the Highlanders.

St. Germain and Schallig led the 49ers’ offensive attack with three RBI apiece.  Schallig was 3-for-4 with two runs scored, while St. Germain went 2-for-4 with a run scored.  DeBaun added a pair of RBI, while Javier went 2-for-3.