Baseball, Sports

LBSU gets swept, loses series-finale to No. 9 Fullerton

FULLERTON — The Long Beach State Dirtbags managed only three hits as they were swept for the second consecutive weekend Sunday, losing the series-finale to cross-town rivals No. 9-ranked Cal State Fullerton, 6-1, at Goodwin Field.

After a scoreless three innings, the Titans picked up the go ahead run in the bottom of the fourth. Designated hitter Tyler Pill struck out swinging to open up the inning before first baseman Nick Ramirez and right fielder Carlos Lopez took the corners off a double and single, respectively. Center fielder Michael Lorenzen drove in the first run of the game as he hit a sacrifice fly to right that brought in Ramirez.

Dirtbags’ starter Shaun Stuart (3-4) pitched one more inning, but gave up two unearned runs in the fifth as he was charged with the loss after allowing just four hits.

“Stuart battled,” LBSU head coach Troy Buckley said.

Stuart was on a pitch count watch on Sunday after pitching the Dirtbags (24-25, 8-10 Big West Conference) to victory last Tuesday against No.13 UCLA.

Colin O’Connell started for the Titans (36-14, 17-4 Big West) and held the Dirtbags scoreless for six innings. The Dirtbags saw their first and only run following a three-error seventh inning by the Titans.

LBSU first baseman Ino Patron reached second base on a throwing error by O’Connell. LBSU RBI-leader Matt Duffy then reached first on an overthrow by shortstop Keegan Dale that allowed Patron to cross home. Duffy moved to second after a bad throw to home, but a fly out and strike out by Brennan Metzger and Michael Hill, respectively, ended the inning and the threat for the Dirtbags.

O’Connell (7-3) gave up one unearned run off three hits in seven 2/3 innings en route to the victory.

The Titans earned another run in the sixth inning against reliever Matt Johnson and tacked on two more against LBSU closer Eddie Magallon.

The Dirtbags now have seven games remaining in the regular season.

“We need to finish strong,” Buckley said.

The Dirtbags will return to home to Blair Field on Tuesday for the first of their final four home games. LBSU will host Pepperdine at 6:30 p.m. before returning to Big West play Friday to host Cal State Northridge for their final three-game series at home.