Softball, Sports

Beach softball splits first two games in NCAA tournament

LBSU 6, SDSU 2

Alisha Rosen hit a solo home run to spark a five-run fifth inning rally to lead the Long Beach State softball team past San Diego State, 6-2, in the opening game of the Tempe Regional on Friday.

Rosen’s home run, the first of her career, cleared the center field fence and cut San Diego State’s lead to 2-1.

“That was a very clutch hit for us and gave us some confidence,” 49ers coach Kim Sowder said in a release. “It got us going offensively.”

The Aztecs’ (32-20) lead didn’t last much longer. Hannah De Gaetano followed Rosen’s homer with a single and then moved to third on an error by the SDSU shortstop Jen Wisneski. Nalani St. Germain evened up the contest, 2-2, with a grounder through the legs of SDSU first baseman Justeen Maeva to drive in De Gaetano. 

Pinch hitter Sarah Carrasco gave the 49ers the lead as she drilled an RBI single off the right field fence to score DeBaun.  Liz Javier made it 6-2 with a two-run double off the top of the wall in left center field.

LBSU (38-16) added a run in the bottom of the fifth thanks to another miscue by the Aztecs.  Bree Stephan scored on a pop fly dropped by SDSU second baseman Lindsey Marquez.

Javier led LBSU as she went 2-for-3 with two RBI.  Rosen was 1-for-3 with an RBI, while De Gaetano was 2-for-3 with a run scored.  

Freshman Erin Jones-Wesley (22-6) picked up the win giving up a pair of runs while striking out three in four innings. 

Taylor Petty pitched the final three innings and got her fifth save. 

Meanwhile, Bailey Micetich (19-11) was charged with the loss.

ASU 8, LBSU 0

Top-ranked Arizona State hit three home runs en route to an 8-0 win over the Long Beach State softball team in the winner’s bracket of the Tempe Regional on Saturday afternoon. LBSU will face San Diego State in a rematch on Saturday at 8 p.m. for a chance to advance to the Super Regional round.

ASU took control with a big second inning. After a leadoff pop out, the Sun Devils scored five runs on three hits with a pair of walks. Sam Parlich put ASU on the board with a two-run home run scoring Mandy Urfer, who reached base on a walk.  

After another walk and a bunt base hit, Katelyn Boyd blasted a three-run shot over the wall in left field to put the Sun Devils up 5-0. ASU added a run in the top of the fourth on an Annie Lockwood double, and scored two more in the fifth, the first on a solo home run by Urfer.

The 49ers (38-17) finished with just two hits, one by Liz Javier and one by Sarah Carrasco. Jones-Wesley took the loss as she fell to (23-7) on the season.  She gave up just seven hits, but walked seven as well. 

Dallas Escobedo (29-3) picked up the win for the Sun Devils as she struck out eight batters.