Softball, Sports

SDSU ends LBSU’s season on walk-off home run

San Diego State freshman Hayley Miles hit a pair of home runs, including a walk-off in the ninth inning to end the Long Beach State softball team’s season, 6-4, in the Tempe Regional of the NCAA tournament on Saturday.

Tied at 4 with a runner on first in the bottom of the ninth, Miles launched a two-run homer off LBSU pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley that soared over the left field fence.

Jones-Wesley (23-8) surrendered four runs on five hits in five 1/3 innings pitched as she was credited with the loss.

Junior Taylor Petty started the game for LBSU, but threw just three innings and allowed two runs on two hits while walking three batters.

Junior Bailey Micetich (20-12) earned the win for the Aztecs after allowing one run on three hits and a walk over five innings of relief. Senior All-American Samantha Beasley started the game for SDSU and gave up just three runs on four walks and three hits over four innings.

The 49ers (38-18) took the early lead with two runs in the top of the first, thanks to some help from SDSU starting pitcher Sam Beasley, who walked four consecutive batters.

After a one-out single by Catrin DeBaun and a pair of outs, Beasley walked two in a row, before hitting Christina Schallig to drive in the first run and walking Dana Garcia to give the 49ers a 2-0 lead.

However, SDSU (35-20) responded as Miles cracked a solo home run in the bottom of the second to cut the deficit to 2-1.

The Beach struck again, though, in the second as Nalani St. Germain delivered a two-out RBI double to right center field to score Megan Denio.

The Aztecs would tie the game at 3 in the fourth, however, on an RBI double by Lorena Klopp followed by an RBI fielder’s choice from Ashley Rose.

Denio then put the 49ers back on top, 4-3, in the top of the sixth with an RBI double that drove in Karli Sandoval.

SDSU sent the game into extra innings after Justeen Maeva hit an RBI single that drove in Jessica Camello for the tying run in the bottom of seventh.