Sports, Women's Basketball

Women’s hoops inks point guard for 2011-2012

Sophomore point guard Hallie Meneses will join the Long Beach State women’s basketball team for the upcoming 2011-12 season, head coach Jody Wynn announced this past weekend.

“We are thrilled to add Hallie to our Beach family,” Wynn said in a statement. “She is a pure point guard and terrific passer, and she has won at the high school, club and junior college levels. Hallie is very competitive and we feel she can make a great impact to our program right away.”

Meneses, a 5-5 native of San Francisco, comes to LBSU from the City College of San Francisco where she played one year. In 2010-11, Meneses led the Rams to an appearance in the state finals and was named to the All-State Women’s Tournament Team. She was also an All-Coast Conference selection as a freshman.

Meneses lettered four years at Abraham Lincoln High School in San Francisco. She was tabbed the All-City Co-Player of the Year in 2008 and 2010. As a senior, Meneses averaged 15.1 points, 5.8 steals, 5.3 assists and 2.9 rebounds per game. 

She garnered first-team all-city honors as a junior and earned second-team recognition as a freshman. Meneses was also a three-time most valuable player on her team.

Meneses is the latest addition to the 49ers’ incoming class that also includes Bianka Balthazar, Devin Hudson, Mary Ochiltree, Sigrid Skorpen and Lauren Spargo.

Women’s Basketball 
2011-12 Recruit Class

Bianka Balthazar, Fr., G, 5-11, Los Angeles, Calif. (Santa Monica HS)

Devin Hudson, Fr., P, 6-3, Ontario, Calif. (Colony HS)

Hallie Meneses, So., PG, 5-5, San Francisco, Calif. (City College of San Francisco/Abraham Lincoln HS)

Mary Ochiltree, Jr., G, 5-11, Lake Stevens, Wash. (Everett Community College/Lake Stevens HS)

Sigrid Skorpen, Fr., G, 5-10, Baerum, Norway (Asker BC)

Lauren Spargo, Fr., G, 5-11, Santa Clarita, Calif. (Valencia HS)