Men's Volleyball, Sports

Sloppy victory leaves No. 22 49ers disgruntled

A win, even by way of a sweep, does not necessarily satiate the winning appetite of the victor.

The No. 22-ranked Long Beach State women’s volleyball team defeated Utah State in straight sets — 25-22, 25-22, 25-17 — Saturday morning at the Walter Pyramid, but the 49ers were not particularly pleased with their performance in its second match of the Baden Classic.

Senior outside hitter Caitlin Ledoux said the teams play was “way sloppy.”

Ledoux added: “I didn’t think our passing was too bad. I thought everyone’s mindset was out of rhythm.”

The win gave LBSU (5-3) its third consecutive victory and brought its streak of consecutive sets won to eight.

Having to play three contests in a 24-hour duration, along with early morning practice before the start of their match against the Aggies (4-5) wasn’t an excuse Ledoux was willing to make for LBSU’s lack of sharpness from the onset.

“There wasn’t a single person out there who looked like they wanted to play,” Ledoux said. “It was a mental thing completely.”

Ledoux led the ‘Niners with 12 kills in the contest on .194 hitting. Aggies outside hitter Liz McArthur was the overall leader with 14 on .263 hitting.

Freshman setter Erin Juley anchored The Beach’s attack on 35 assists and a match-high .429 hitting percentage.

With regard to not being complacent, Ledoux said, “I think no matter what the outcome of the game: you win, you lose, you crush a team, you can always improve on something. Even though we swept them, we didn’t play our best and we know that.”

The ‘Niners took command of the match in the latter stages of the second set and the momentum carried over into the third frame.

Long Beach did not take the lead in second frame until very late. Down 22-21, the ‘Niners scored five straight points to seal the frame. Adversely, LBSU never trailed in the third set, scoring the first two points with the only threat coming at a 4-4 tie early on.

The second and third frames sets on lifting calls against the Aggies.

LBSU head coach Brian Gimmillaro mentioned the development of Juley’s play in her first season.

“I think Erin’s doing a good job,” Gimmillaro said. “My concern is when you have someone new, it is easier to play quarterback when you have good protection. If the elements around her were more consistent, she would develop quicker.”

Gimmillaro also said the team needs to improve on adjusting to its opponent and developing a counter-attack.

“As a player, you find success in something so you tend to do it,” Gimmillaro said, “and we were doing things that weren’t available.

“If it’s not available, you can’t do it so we took a long time to get somebody to listen in the third game, but at least we were attacking with what they gave us.”

The ‘Niners will return to the Walter Pyramid tonight for the conclusion of the Baden Classic as they will host Oregon State at 7 p.m.