LBSU announces Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Long Beach State will honor eight former athletes, a team and an administrator with induction into the athletic department’s Hall of Fame on Wednesday, Nov. 9, at 6 p.m. at the Hilton Long Beach Hotel & Executive Meeting Center.

The Class of 2011 will be highlighted by current Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pitcher Jared Weaver, who will be joined by softball player Meredith Cervenka, track and field athlete Le’Gretta Smith (Hinds), men’s volleyball player Alan Knipe, women’s basketball player Margaret Mohr, administrator Doug Robinson, men’s tennis player and coach Peter Smith, football player Mark Templeton, women’s volleyball player Cheryl Weaver and the 1989 Women’s Volleyball National Championship Team. 

“It is very important for us to acknowledge our great athletic history and these 49ers rank among the all-time greats,” Long Beach State Director of Athletics Vic Cegles said. “We are excited to welcome them back to Long Beach State and into the hall of fame.” 

The 2011 class ranks as one of the largest classes in hall of fame history and will bring the total number of inductees to 202.

1989 Women’s Volleyball National Championship Team – It was a storybook season for the 49ers in 1989 as the 49ers captured the school’s first-ever NCAA Championship. The ‘Niners finished the season at 32-5 after compiling a 13-5 mark in the Big West Conference. With an upset win over then-No. 1 Hawaii in the regional semifinals, the 49ers cruised to their first title behind three current LBSU Hall of Famers — Tara Cross, Sheri Sanders and Antoinette White.

Meredith Cervenka – (Softball, 2002-2005): Cervenka was a three-time Big West Pitcher of the Year who led the 49ers to three regional appearances and Big West championships. She is LBSU’s career leader in wins and strikeouts with 78 and 634, respectively.

Le’Gretta Smith (Hinds) – (Women’s Track and Field, 1992-96): Hinds was a two-time All-American in the 400-meter hurdles, and reached the NCAA Championships in both the 100 and 400 hurdles. Hinds is still the record-holder at LBSU in both events, holding a 13.49 time in the 100 Hurdles and a 57.53 time in the 400 Hurdles.

Alan Knipe – (Men’s Volleyball, 1990-92): Knipe played three years for the men’s volleyball team before being named LBSU’s head coach for nine seasons prior to taking a leave of absence to coach the USA Men’s National Team through the 2012 Olympics in London. A two-time All-American with the ‘Niners, Knipe was one of 10 players to be inducted into the inaugural 49er Men’s Volleyball Wall of Honor, and was a member of the 1991 national championship team.

Margaret Mohr – (Women’s Basketball, 1984-87): Mohr ranks ninth all-time in career assists at LBSU with 448. Mohr also led the 1985-86 49ers with 182 assists, the fourth-highest single-season total for the 49ers, while helping the team to its first Final Four berth in school history. In 1986-87 season, Mohr helped the 49ers to a 33-3 record, a PCAA Championship, and a No. 4 final ranking as the 49ers fell to Tennessee in the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament.

Doug Robinson – Robinson has been Vice President for Student Services at LBSU since 1991. Robinson provides leadership to more than 35 university programs and services that focus on the needs of students outside the classroom and assist students in achieving their goals and enhancing their personal growth and development. Robinson also serves as chair on several university committees, including the Student Fee Advisory Committee and the 49er Shops Board of Directors. He served as chair of the university’s NCAA Athletics Certification Steering Committee three times and on the search committee for the current school president. He was a three-year letterman at Iowa State University where he played from 1965-67 and was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the 10th round of the 1968 NFL Draft.

Peter Smith – (Men’s Tennis, 1983-86, Head Coach, 1988-91): Smith was a four-year letterman at Long Beach State before serving as the men’s tennis team’s head coach. As a player, he reached the conference singles finals all four years, and helped lead LBSU to two Pacific Coast Athletic Association Championships. Smith coached two All-Americans in Greg Failla and Par Crow during his four years at the helm of the program, and led the team to a second-place finish at the Big West Championships in 1989, as well as a program high No. 25 national ranking. 

Mark Templeton – (Football, 1983-86): Templeton, who played fullback for four years at LBSU, is the school’s career leader in receptions with 262. His 1,966 receiving yards also rank fourth all-time, 1,495 career rushing yards rank sixth in program history. An honorable mention All-American in 1986, his nine receptions per game led the nation, and his 96 receptions that season set a NCAA Division I record and a LBSU record. 

Cheryl Weaver – (Women’s Volleyball, 1998-2001): A two-time Big West Player of the Year, Cheryl Weaver was a member of the 1998 women’s volleyball National Championship team, and advanced to the final four three times in her career. A three-time first-team All-American, Weaver led the 49ers to the 2001 national championship match, winning 33 straight matches on the way to the title game. She finished her career with 1,589 kills, ranking fifth on the all-time list at LBSU.

Jered Weaver – (Baseball, 2002-04): A two-time Big West Pitcher of the Year, and the program’s first two-time All-American, Weaver led the nation in wins (15) and strikeouts (213) in 2004, finishing the season with a 1.62 ERA before being selected 12th overall by the Anaheim Angels in 2005. He holds the LBSU and Big West career records in wins (37) and strikeouts (431), and is also the Dirtbags’ career record holder in innings pitched (370.0) and starts (55). Weaver set a school record with 14 consecutive wins in 2004 after starting the season 14-0. Weaver was also named the American League’s starting pitcher for the 2011 MLB All-Star game.