Baseball, Sports

Buckley makes two staff changes to Dirtbags

The Long Beach State baseball team has announced two personnel moves for the 2011 season. Former director of baseball operations Justin Ramsey was promoted to volunteer assistant coach, while David Yamane will take over as LBSU’s director of baseball operations.

“We are pleased to have Justin move into our volunteer coaching position,” LBSU head coach Troy Buckley said. “In him, we were fortunate to retain a member of last year’s staff and move him into a position to have a direct impact on the field with the assistance of the pitching program.

“He has all of the ingredients to be an outstanding coach and we are looking forward to him making an impact with our team.”

Ramsey, who was hired for the staff during Buckley’s first season, will move onto the field as part of this promotion. Previously a pitching coach at Sacramento City College, Ramsey has extensive experience as an assistant and should make a seamless transition into the duties of the volunteer assistant coach, which include serving as a base coach and assisting with pitching and catching instruction.

Yamane will also be working with the program for his second year, but with greater responsibility in 2011 after spending last year as the Dirtbags’ program coordinator, developing and coordinating all of Long Beach State’s youth and showcase camps.

“We are excited to have David join our staff in taking over the Directory of Baseball Operations position,” Buckley said. “He is diligent, hard-working, and will have a positive impact on our program in his new role.”

Prior to coming to Long Beach, Yamane served as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Long Beach City College, where he handled many of the administrative duties that he’ll oversee with the Dirtbags as well as receiving on-field coaching experience. As the Director of Baseball Operations, Yamane will responsible for running the day-to-day logistics of the team, organizing team travel, and overseeing game-day activity.