Men's Volleyball, Sports

‘Niners end three-year road skid against CSUN

NORTHRIDGE — With a raucous crowd providing a boost to its home squad, the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team had to regroup after a lopsided third set to defeat Cal State Northridge in four sets – 25-21, 25-22, 16-25, 25-21 Friday night at the Matadome.

The ‘Niners (8-5, 2-1 Big West Conference) ended a three-year skid on the road against the Matadors (7-7, 1-1 Big West), but not without some resistance from the home team.

After claiming the first two sets, LBSU surrendered 11 unanswered points that solidified a commanding 25-16 third-frame victory for Northridge. The Matadors hit .393 in the set, while LBSU recorded a woeful .040.

The Beach also trailed, 10-7, early in the decisive frame, but was able to keep it close and took seven of the last 10 points — ignited by an emphatic kill from sophomore middle blocker Haleigh Hampton.

Hampton celebrated her birthday by recording nine kills and eight digs on .292 hitting for the match.

“We really just had to calm down and play our game,” Hampton said. “We were psyching ourselves out a little bit and once we calmed down, got back in our element and rhythm, we knew that the game was ours.”

Junior outside hitter Janisa Johnson also helped lead the LBSU attack, producing her ninth double-double of the season with 13 kills and 12 digs on .173 hitting.

Sophomore outside hitter Mahina Haina led the Matadors with 16 on .196 hitting. Freshman middle blocker Casey Hinger added 15 while hitting .314.

LBSU out-hit Northridge .168 to .146 for the match.

“An understanding has to be that they are not ready to make all these plays.” LBSU head coach Brian Gimmillaro said of his young and inexperienced lineup. “The better the game is the more difficult it is to make these plays. More and more different plays come up.”

Gimmillaro added: “It was 10-10 and we were tighter than ever. I just said do the things you can do and forget about the things you do not know how to do yet. You’ve got to walk before you can run and hope that walking is good enough.”

Gimmilaro said that senior outside hitter and co-captain Caitlin Ledoux (shin injury) will return to practice Wednesday and will gradually make her way back to the lineup.

The ‘Niners will return to action at UC Riverside on Saturday to take on the Highlanders at 7 p.m.