Men's Volleyball, Sports

Balanced attack leads ‘Niners past Pacific

Neither the pink jersey’s donned by the University of the Pacific nor the Tigers fan yelling “Jersey Shore” references during the 49ers’ serves were enough to stop the hot-hitting Long Beach State women’s volleyball team.

The Beach (12-6, 6-2 Big West) dropped just one set Saturday en route to its fourth straight Big West Conference victory, which helped them secure the top spot in the conference for at least another week.

The ‘Niners used a .272 kill percentage to hold off Pacific (13-8, 4-4 Big West) in a four set victory at the Walter Pyramid — 25-16, 23-25, 25-20, 25-17.

Freshman setter Erin Juley finished the match with 39 assists and four ‘Niners hitters finished with double-digit kills. Senior outside hitter Caitlin Ledoux and sophomore outside hitter Delainy Aigner-Swesey each had team-highs of 14 kills. Sophomore middle blocker Haleigh Hampton and freshman middle blocker Alma Serna had 12 kills apiece.

After the game, LBSU head coach Brian Gimmillaro was quick to point out how well Pacific performed despite the lopsided score.

“They played very well,” Gimmillaro said. “They really attack the ball hard.”

Ledoux also gave credit to Pacific’s solid play.

“They’re a good team,” she said. “They have always been a really good volleyball team.”

After dropping the first point of the first set, The Beach ran off eight straight points and never looked back. Aigner-Swesey led the charge for the ‘Niners with four kills on seven attempts with one error, good for a .429 kill percentage. Erin Juley opened up the match with eight first-set assists, and Haleigh Hampton chipped in three kills while patrolling the net and slowing down Pacific’s kills leader Samantha Misa. Caitlin Ledoux, usually known for her attacks, did a majority of the dirty work, collecting only two kills while picking up six digs.

Despite the dominating first set performance, Gimmillaro was worried about his team heading into the second set.

“The first 10 points (of the first set) were too easy,” he said. “After those first 10 points, we played even the rest of the way through, so it was kind of a concern of mine that we’re not playing right now.”

The Tigers attack came alive in the second set with Misa leading the way for the Tigers. Misa came up with four kills on nine attempts and two digs. The second frame was back and forth throughout, with the Tigers eventually pulling away in the end. Serna and Hampton each had four kills for the ‘Niners, but it wasn’t enough, as Ledoux was kept at bay with just four kills on 16 attempts at the break. The Beach and Pacific ended the second frame deadlocked at one set apiece.

The second set miscues could be attributed to a new lineup that Gimmillaro has used over the past couple matches.

“It’s a much different lineup,” he said. “We didn’t play very good defense behind the block tonight.”

Ledoux came alive late to help carry The Beach to a 25-20 third set victory. Ledoux collected five kills on 16 attempts and dug six more balls. Not to be outdone, Serna had five big kills herself, and picked up a pair of even bigger blocks. The ‘Niners were able to overcome a big set from Misa. She finished the third with seven kills on 16 attempts and six digs. Misa’s stellar performance wasn’t enough, though, as Ledoux closed out the set with a kill right through the middle of the Tigers defense.

Ledoux started off slow, but she loosened up later on in the match and was able to be much more effective.

“My leg still bothers me sometimes, but it’s just about getting through it,” she said. “I was tipping the ball around and that wasn’t working, so I just started to hit it as hard as I can.”

Ledoux credited her ease into focusing on more defensive play to her blockers, especially Serna. Serna finished the match with two solo blocks and four combined.

After the game, Serna said that practice time and treatment to her injured left achilles has helped her return to form.

“I’ve been doing treatment everyday,” she said. “I’ve gotten much quicker, my transitions are better, and my blocking is better.”

The fourth set started out with some solid play from two of the ‘Niners’ top performers. Hampton collected two early blocks, and Ledoux stayed true to third-set form with a pair of kills to put The Beach up 8-3 early on. Pacific made a brief comeback led by Misa and junior middle blocker Gabby Cowden, bringing the Tigers back within two (15-13). The combination of Ledoux and Aigner-Swesey was too much for the Tigers to handle, though, as both hitters collected five kills each to help close out the match in the fourth set.

The ‘Niners will look to add on to their four-game winning streak away from home next Friday at 7 p.m. against Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for Postings made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for
Postings made on this website. Persons commenting agree to the Terms of Use of the website. If Postings do not abide by the Rules of Conduct or Posting Regulations as listed in the Postings Policy, the Daily 49er has all rights to delete Postings as it deems necessary. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech. This site also encourages users to make Postings relevant to the article or other Postings.