Men's Basketball, Sports

LBSU men’s basketball receives votes in ESPN/USA Today poll

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team received two votes in the first preseason ESPN/USA Today Top 25 coaches’ poll, released Thursday.

It marked the first time the 49ers received votes in the poll since the 1999-2000 season.

Five of the teams the ‘Niners will be facing this upcoming season were ranked among the top 15, including North Carolina, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Kansas and Xavier.

UNC received all but one of the 31 first-place votes from a nationwide panel of coaches and a total of 774 points to outdistance Kentucky, who collected the other No. 1 tally, for the top spot.

The Tarheels were 29-8 last year and lost to Kentucky in the East Regional final of the NCAA Tournament. UNC returns all five starters from last year’s team, including forwards Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Tyler Zeller.

The 49ers will face the Tarheels at Smith Center on Saturday, Dec. 10 at 4:00 p.m. (PT).

Meanwhile, Louisville was tabbed at No. 8 as it received 514 points. The Cardinals return 11 lettermen, including three starters from last year’s team that finished 25-10 overall and 12-6 in the BIG EAST. The Cardinals were eliminated by Morehead State in in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last season.

The Beach is scheduled to meet the Cardinals at Denny Crum Court on Monday, Nov. 28 at 4 p.m. (PT).

Pitt came in at No. 11 with 471 points. The Panthers, who return two starters from a 28-6 team, were eliminated in the second round of Tournament last season to eventual runner-up Butler.

The ‘Niners will face the Panthers at the Petersen Events Center on Wednesday, Nov. 16 at 4 p.m. (PT).

Kanas, who lost to Virginia Commonwealth in the Sweet 16 last season, was ranked No. 13 with 331 points. The Jayhawks finished with an overall record of 32-2 last season to go with a 14-2 mark in the Big East.

LBSU will square off against the Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse on Tuesday, Dec. 6 at 4 p.m. (PT).

Xavier was picked at No. 15 as it picked up a total of 277 points. Xavier finished 24-8 overall in the 2010-11 season, winning the Atlantic 10 Championship with a 15-1 mark before bowing out to Marquette in the second round of NCAA Tournament.

The 49ers will meet the Musketeers at the Diamond Classic in Honolulu on Thursday, Dec. 22 at 8 p.m. (PT).

ESPN/USA Today preseason coaches poll

1. North Carolina (30)

2. Kentucky (1)

3. Ohio St.

4. Connecticut

5. Syracuse

6. Duke

7. Vanderbilt

8. Louisville

9. Memphis

10. Florida

11. Pittsburgh

12. Baylor

13. Kansas

14. Wisconsin

15. Xavier

16. Arizona

17. Alabama

18. Michigan

19. Texas A&M

20. UCLA

21. Marquette

22. Cincinnati

23. Gonzaga

24. California

25. Missouri

Others receiving votes: Florida State 108, Texas 107, Michigan State 73, Temple 59, Washington 29, Butler 25, New Mexico 22, Creighton 19, Villanova 18, Purdue 17, UNLV 16, West Virginia 13, George Mason 12, Mississippi State 11, St. John’s 11, Saint Mary’s 5, Virginia 5, Virginia Commonwealth 4, Drexel 2, Kansas State 2, Long Beach State 2, Notre Dame 1, Brigham Young 1.