Men's Volleyball, Sports

LBSU to face critical road swing this weekend

If home court advantage is as important as it is often made out to be, the Big West Conference- leading Long Beach State women’s volleyball team might be facing a tough weekend.

The Beach (12-6, 6-2 Big West) will hit the road to face Cal Poly (9-11, 4-3 Big West) on Friday and UC Santa Barbara (11-9, 4-3 Big West) on Saturday.

In the first weekend of Big West play, LBSU fell at home to UCSB in five sets and had to recover from a two-sets-to-one deficit against Cal Poly for a five-set victory.

The difference-maker could be a healthier LBSU lineup compared to the injury-hampered 49ers who played in the first set of matchups.

The ‘Niners are now playing at close to full strength for the first time all year and hold a game and a half lead in the Big West standings over Cal Poly and UCSB.

Senior outside hitter Caitlin Ledoux has remained limited in practice since returning to the lineup, but has been effective during matches. The Beach is 3-0 since her return and has won four straight overall.

Freshman setter Erin Juley has been sitting out practice this week, resting a swollen knee that has been operated twice in the last year.

Head coach Brian Gimmillaro said she is not expected to miss any playing time this weekend.

“We just have to have fresh legs for the weekend,” Gimmillaro said. “It is not a negative. We are building parts and resting people, it is a good combination.”

Gimmillaro commented on the team’s progression due to a healthier lineup.

“We are faster, we are better and we are bigger,” Gimmillaro said. “We will just have to see how we perform.”

In Friday’s contest, The Beach will look to stymie Mustangs leader and outside hitter Jennifer Keddy, who has 274 kills and is tied with UCSB’s Lily Lopez for a Big West-leading .345 hitting percentage. Cal Poly is 5-0 at home season.

Things won’t be any easier against UCSB on Saturday night. Senior middle blocker Lopez has 149 kills, 58 blocks and 51 digs.

“Santa Barbara plays their best match of the year against us at home,” Gimmillaro said. “It is going to be very difficult. What we have to do is respond.”

The equalizer could turn out to be LBSU’s defense. The ‘Niners have allowed their opponents to hit just .144 this season, the lowest percentage surrendered in the conference.