Sports, Women's Basketball

Women’s basketball picked to finish last in Big West preseason poll

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team was picked to finish last in the 2011-12 Big West Conference Preseason Poll as selected by a panel of media members, the conference office announced Wednesday.

Cal Poly was selected to repeat as the Big West regular season champions in the nine-team conference as it collected 200 total points and tallied 11 of the possible 24 first-place votes.

UC Santa Barbara, who matched the Mustangs with 11 first-place nods, racked up 191 points to come in second. Defending Big West Tournament champion UC Davis was picked to finish third with two first-place votes(169 points).

UC Riverside finished fourth with 120 points and was followed by Cal State Fullerton (107), UC Irvine (91), Cal State Northridge (73) and Pacific (66). The 49ers tallied 63 points.

LBSU is coming off a 2010-11 season in which it went 8-23 overall and 6-10 in Big West action. LBSU will have a fresh look this season, however, as it returns just four letterwinners from last year’s squad. The roster will feature nine players, including six freshmen, who have yet to play a game in a 49er uniform.

Despite the youth on the roster, the LBSU coaching staff has high expectations for the upcoming season.

“On paper, we don’t have any returning all-conference players,” third-year 49ers head coach Jody Wynn said. “There is a significant challenge ahead of us, but we have girls here with the right attitude and mind set. Obviously we are young, but the caliber of players and the culture has changed in a positive direction. I think this year is an opportunity for us to turn the corner and seriously contend for a Big West championship.”

Leading the way will be senior forward Tipesa Moorer, who is the 49ers‘ top returning scorer after averaging 7.7 points per game last year. Sophomores Ella Clark (6.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg) and Sendy Valles (4.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg) are also looking to build off solid freshmen campaigns.

The Beach will play host to Utah Valley in its season opener on Friday, Nov. 11. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at the Walter Pyramid.

Media Poll Results

1. Cal Poly (11) 200

2. UC Santa Barbara (11) 191

3. UC Davis (2) 169

4. UC Riverside 120

5. Cal State Fullerton 107

6. UC Irvine 91

7. Cal State Northridge 73

8. Pacific 66

9. Long Beach State 63

2011-12 Preseason All-Conference Team

Abby Bloetscher, Cal Poly, Post, Sr.

Jasmine Erving, Cal State Northridge, Center, Sr.

Emilie Johnson, UC Santa Barbara, Guard, Sr.

Tre’Shonti Nottingham, UC Riverside, Guard, Jr.

Megan Richardson, Cal State Fullerton, Guard, Sr.

Kristina Santiago, Cal Poly, Forward, Sr.