Beach soccer racks up Big West postseason awards

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team claimed two major Big West Conference awards and had six players earn all-conference honors, the conference office announced Tuesday afternoon.

Junior forward Nadia Link was named the Offensive Player of the Year, while senior Shawna Gordon was tabbed the Midfielder of the Year.

Both Link and Gordon, along with junior Alex Balcer, garnered first-team All-Big West accolades. Senior Kaitlyn Gustaves and junior Jordan Nelson were named second-team selections, while senior Nicole Hubbard earned honorable mention recognition.

Link is just the second 49er to claim the Big West Offensive Player of the Year award. Kim Silos is the only other Long Beach player to have earned the honor, claiming it in 2006.

Link has had one of the most storied years in LBSU history as she leads the Big West in goals (15), assists (10) and points (40). She currently ranks second in LBSU’s single-season record books in goals and points, and is tied for third in assists. The Rowland Heights, Calif. native is only the third 49er in school history to register double figures in both goals and assists, and she is also the third player to reach double-digits in goals since the program was reinstated in 1998.

A two-time Big West Offensive Player of the Week selection, Link has four multiple goal games on the year and has notched at least one point in 14 of LBSU’s 21 games. This is the second year in a row that she has been a first-team all-conference pick.

Gordon, who is a three-time first-team All-Big West selection, picked up her first Midfielder of the Year award. She is the fourth 49er, and third in the last four years to claim the conference’s top midfielder honors. Lindsay Bullock earned the distinction in 2008 and 2010, while Hayley Bolt also accomplished the feat in 2006.

Gordon has registered seven goals, 10 assists and 24 points in 2011. She established a single-game school record with four assists in a 6-0 victory over Saint Mary’s and also had a career-high five points (2 goals, 1 assist) in a 6-0 win at Cal Poly. Gordon currently ranks third in school history with 24 career helpers.

Balcer rounded out the trio of 49ers on the All-Big West first team. The Tucson, Ariz., native anchored a Long Beach defense that posted a conference-leading 0.85 goals against average. In addition to holding down the back line, Balcer also finished with one goal and four assists. The 2011 Big West Tournament MVP earned her second consecutive all-conference honor after garnering second-team recognition last year.

Gustaves was named to the All-Big West second team in her first year as the 49ers‘ starting goalkeeper. The transfer from Oklahoma State posted a league-best 0.85 goals against average and nine shutouts. She allowed just 18 goals all year, while compiling 63 saves.

Nelson, a defender from Garden Grove, Calif., was also a second-team All-Big West selection. The transfer from Loyola Marymount, was a huge part of LBSU’s strong defensive performance this year as she played a total of 1,807 minutes on the back line. Nelson also contributed on the offensive end with a pair of assists.

Hubbard garnered honorable mention recognition for the second straight year after earning second-team honors in 2008. The Lakewood, Calif. native has had her best offensive performance at LBSU with eight goals, four assists and 20 points. A defender, who has seen more time at the forward position in 2011, registered her first and the school’s sixth hat trick in a 6-0 win against Saint Mary’s.

The 49ers are enjoying one of the most successful seasons in program history. They won their second consecutive Big West Tournament title and will be making their third NCAA Tournament appearance in the last four years. LBSU also established single-season school records in victories (15), goals (46), assists (51) and points (143).

No. 24 Long Beach State (15-5-1) heads to seventh-ranked Pepperdine (15-1-4) on Saturday for the first round of the NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship. Kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m. at Rokus Field.