Men's Volleyball, Sports

Gimmillaro inks two recruits

Long Beach State women’s volleyball head coach Brian Gimmillaro has announced that two players, Alex Reid and Tiara Wallace, have signed National Letters of Intent to join the 49ers for the 2012 season.

Both are on the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) High School All-American watch list, and both were named to Prep Volleyball’s “Senior Aces,” listing the top prep recruits in the country.

Reid is a 6-0 outside hitter from Grandview, Colorado. In her junior season, Reid led Grandview to a 22-7 record, averaging 4.0 kills per set. She finished the season with 362 kills and 338 digs, and added 73 blocks. In her senior campaign this season, Reid has 340 kills and 350 digs, leading the team in offense and trailing only the team’s libero in digs.

“Alex is a complete player,” Gimmillaro said. “She’s an explosive athlete, and is already an accomplished passer, defender and blocker, as well as a great hitter. She is really focused on being a big part of our program.”

Reid plays club volleyball for Colorado Performance.

Wallace will join the 49ers out of Culver City High and her club team is TCA. Wallace, A 6-4 middle blocker, was named to the Top 50 juniors list by Prep Volleyball, one season before being tabbed as a “Senior Ace.”

“Tiara is a tall and graceful athlete,” Gimmillaro said. “She is an excellent blocker and hitter, and our plan is that she will become an integral part of our team.”

The pair will join an LBSU team that is slated to return five starters in defense of the team’s 2011 Big West Conference championship, as well as joining the hunt for a 26th consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament.