Men's Basketball, Men's Volleyball, Sports

Pair of LBSU athletes earn Big West recognition

Men’s basketball

Long Beach State senior guard Larry Anderson has been named the Big West Conference Men’s Basketball Player of the Week on Monday after leading the 49ers to a season-opening win over Idaho. The player of the week award marks the fifth of his career.

Anderson scored 16 points and matched a career-high with seven assists in LBSU’s 69-61 win over the Vandals. The 49ers guard made all four of his field goal attempts, while draining a career-high three 3-pointers in 27 minutes of action. He also went 5-for-6 from the free throw line, collected two rebounds and a steal.

Anderson’s first career player of the week award came on Nov. 16, 2009 when he earned co-player of the week honors after leading LBSU to a season-opening win against Alaska Anchorage. He added three player of the week honors as a junior during the 2010-11 season, winning back-to-back awards during the first two weeks of the conference season (Jan. 3 and Jan. 10) and then adding another one on Feb. 20.

Women’s Volleyball

LBSU senior outside hitter Caitlin Ledoux was also named Big West Player of the Week. She earned the honor after leading the women’s volleyball team to a Big West championship and a 25th consecutive NCAA Tournament berth this past weekend.

Ledoux tallied a pair of double-doubles while leading the 49ers in kills in two matches on the road last weekend. Needing one win to secure the Big West title, the 12th for the program, Ledoux sparked the 49ers in a dominant victory at Pacific.

Ledoux had 12 kills and 11 digs while hitting .346, as the 49ers defeated the University of the Pacific in three sets 25-10, 25-20, 25-10.

The following night, Ledoux again hit over .300 while leading the 49ers with another double-double. The senior finished with 20 kills and a season-high 16 digs to lead the ‘Niners past UC Davis in four sets while recording her seventh double-double of the season.

For the weekend, Ledoux averaged 4.57 kills per set, 3.86 digs per set, and hit .316 as Long Beach State extended its winning streak to 11 straight matches.

With her selection as the Big West Player of the Week, LBSU has now won the award three times this season as middle blocker Haleigh Hampton was selected twice. It marks the first time that Ledoux, who nabbed her fifth career weekly honor, has won the award in 2011.