Men's Volleyball, Sports

49ers’ blocking too much for LMU

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team continued its tear through the regular season Wednesday as it earned its 13th consecutive victory in straight sets over Loyola Marymount University — 25-21, 25-17, 25-22 — at the Walter Pyramid.

Sophomore middle blocker Haleigh Hampton finished with eight kills on .538 hitting with nine total blocks for the 49ers (21-6).

The 49ers hit .232 on the night,  thanks to some superb blocking — 15 on the night — they were able to hold the Lions (14-6) to .140 hitting. Thirteen digs from libero Lauren Minkel helped a balanced offensive attack that saw Hampton, Alma Serna, and Bre Mackie each finish with eight kills apiece to pace the 49ers.

LMU started the match strong, opening up a 6-3 lead, after a solo block from middle blocker Litara Keil. The Lions run continued as Keil struck again, making her third block to help LMU take a 9-3 lead. Long Beach battled, however, behind some great digs from Minkel and a solo block from Hampton cut the lead to 14-12.

The 49ers finally pushed to within one, at 19-18, before Mackie and Aigner-Swesey each picked up kills to give LBSU its first lead. Long Beach then closed out the set with a 25-21 win behind six team blocks and eight digs in the set from Minkel.

Long Beach held onto the early edge to start the second frame, and took a 10-7 lead on a service error by LMU. Taking advantage of an LMU miscue, Serna hammered home a kill to give the 49ers their largest lead of the set at 14-9 and forcing the Lions into their second timeout. The 49ers continued to push to an 18-9 lead before a Lions sideout, and took a 25-17 second-set victory.

LMU grabbed an early lead again in the third set, eventually leading by five points at 10-5 after an ace from Diana Hiromoto. Trailing 12-6, Long Beach turned to junior outside hitter Janisa Johnson in a front-row substitution, which showed immediate results. Two kills from the junior helped the 49ers cut the lead back to two at 13-11, and a block from Hampton and Ledoux brought the 49ers within one. Serna gave the 49ers a 15-14 lead on a tip.

A Ledoux solo block after a diving scramble by the setter Juley then put the 49ers on top, 17-15. The Lions were able to tie the set at 18 out of the timeout, which held until Hampton picked up a kill at 23-22. The 49ers then found Johnson out of the back row, and a block by Juley and Serna finished up the match with a 25-22 win.

LBSU will play two more matches this weekend, hosting Central Michigan on Friday before playing New Mexico on Senior Night on Saturday evening at 7 p.m. The 49ers will honor their four graduates, Jocelyn Neely, Michelle Osunbor, Lauren Minkel, and Caitlin Ledoux prior to the match.