Men's Volleyball, Sports

49ers overcome first-set woes to claim 14th straight win

After a slow start and first-set loss, the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team was able to shake off a tryptophan Friday night as it dominated the next three frames to cruise to its 14th consecutive victory.

The No. 23-ranked ‘Niners defeated the University of Central Michigan — 19-25, 25-14, 25-15, 25-19 — in the first of back-to-back matches at the Walter Pyramid to conclude the regular season.

Junior outside hitter Janisa Johnson led the charge with 14 kills and eight digs on a .538 hitting percentage.

Johnson said the team has had a tendency of beginning contests a little slower than it would like.

“It is weird how it always happens,” she said. “We try to do things to fix it but it always happens, so in practice we say start with fire and energy. We just start yelling [during the match], saying things just to pump us up. I just stay positive no matter what the outcome.”

Strong net play also helped anchor the LBSU attack. The ‘Niners (22-6) out-blocked the Chippewas (18-13) by a margin of 12 (18-6) and were led by the freshmen tandem of Bre Mackie and Alma Serna, whose names were heard together over the loud speaker after successful attempts. 

LBSU head coach Brian Gimmillaro said: “Alma is getting better and better and better. She is close to being good; close to being really good.”

Serna added 10 kills and a dig while hitting .368.

Apart from the first set, the only resistance The Beach faced came in the fourth and decisive frame when the Chippewas produced two runs of five straight points, including the first five of the set. The ‘Niners responded by scoring 18 of the final 23 en route to the come-from-behind victory.

Central Michigan was paced by freshman outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre, who sent home a match-high 15 kills to go with two digs on .167. Junior outside hitter Lindsey Dulude added 13 kills and a match-high 11 digs while hitting .259.

The Beach doubled-up Central Michigan, out-hitting the Chippewas .301 to .150 for the match.

Gimmillaro said the team is not playing as well as it can, despite the season-high win streak.

“We are not trying to start slow,” he said. “We are just not playing very well. This is a team [Central Michigan] who played better than they are. They were so charged up and so excited. When you get a team that is playing over their head, with a point to prove, it is different.”

The Beach will return to action for its last match of the regular season Saturday, and its third in four nights, as it hosts the University of New Mexico at 7 p.m. at the Walter Pyramid.

Prior to the match, the 49ers will honor their four seniors — Jocelyn Neely, Michelle Osunbor, Lauren Minkel and Caitlin Ledoux.

The ‘Niners, who have already secured a berth in NCAA Tournament this season, will discover who their first round opponent will be on Sunday in the ESPNU selection show Sunday at 3 p.m.