Men's Volleyball, Sports

Ledoux leads LBSU to longest winning streak in 10 years

Senior Caitlin Ledoux finished with her 37th career double-double Saturday to lead the No. 23-ranked Long Beach State women’s volleyball team over New Mexico —25-17, 21-25, 25-13, 25-22 — for its 15 consecutive victory in its regular-season finale at the Walter Pyramid.

Ledoux finished with 16 kills and 12 digs, while fellow senior Lauren Minkel had 17 digs on Senior Night to guide the 49ers (23-6) to its longest winning streak in 10 years.

Setter Erin Juley had 56 assists, help propelling the ‘Niners to a .389 hitting percentage against the Lobos (14-15) while making four kills herself with no errors. The 49ers had four hitters in double-figures in kills, led by Ledoux. Junior outside hitter Janisa Johnson finished with 13 kills, sophomore middle blocker Haleigh Hampton had 11, and freshman Alma Serna finished with 10 kills on .571 hitting. Bre Mackie also added eight kills for LBSU.

The Beach took a two-point lead in the first set on an overpass return from Serna at 8-6, and moved ahead by four points on an ace from Hampton. Leading by five, the 49ers continued to push, hitting Delainey Aigner-Swesey for a kill down the line for a 20-14 lead. The 49ers’ run continued to 22-14 on another Aigner-Swesey kill before cruising to the first-set win.

The Lobos (14-15) came out on top early in set two, 4-1, on a Kelly Williamson kill. A Lobos ace from Allison Buck made score 5-1, and Johnson came in to pass for 49ers, picking up two quick kills. Long Beach finally pulled back to even up the frame at 13 on an ace from Tyler Jackson. The Lobos kept the 49ers from taking the lead, though, and took a 17-14 advantage on a kill from Ashley Newman. The Lobos would hold the lead the rest of the way, and took the set, 25-21.

The 49ers took the momentum out of the break, eventually opening an 8-3 lead on a kill from Johnson leading to a New Mexico timeout. Out of the timeout, a block from Mackie and Serna made the score, 9-3, and the teams would start to trade sideouts. Leading 19-13, Long Beach tacked on two more points, the second coming on another block from Mackie and Serna, with the 49ers closing out the third with rest of that run, winning 25-13 and hitting .440 on the set.

In by far the closest set to that point, New Mexico took the first two-point lead for either team at 13-11 following a block from Chantale Riddle and Lexi Ross. Trailing, 18-15, LBSU scored three straight, tying the set with an ace from Minkel, before retaking the lead on a kill from Hampton. The 49ers took their first two-point advanrage on a Lobos error at, 21-19, but New Mexico tied the set once more at 21. Long Beach answered once more, taking a 23-21 lead on a kill from Hampton. The 49ers found Hampton again for set point, and closed out the regular season with a kill by Ledoux and a 25-22 win.

Prior to the match, the 49ers honored their four graduates – Minkel, Ledoux, Jocelyn Neely and Michelle Osunbor. Long Beach will make its 25th consecutive NCAA appearance next weekend. The 49ers will find out their opponent and destination when the bracket is announced at 3 p.m. on Sunday on ESPNU.