Men's Basketball, Sports

Men’s basketball team collapses in second half to Montana

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team built a double-digit first half lead, but couldn’t hold off Montana as the Grizzlies rallied for a 73-71 win at Dahlberg Arena in Missoula, Mont. Saturday night.

The 49ers (3-2) rallied from a seven-point deficit to take a 68-66 lead on a pair of free throws by senior guard Casper Ware, but the Grizzlies went on a 7-0 run over a 58 second span to regain the lead, 73-68. The 49ers missed four free throws and had a costly turnover during the stretch.

“We are just not tough enough on the road right now,” LBSU head coach Dan Monson said. “We just break down to easily and let teams hang around. It’s such an advantage for teams to be at home when you don’t put them away when you have the opportunity. It’s just very frustrating because it’s not anything but the mentality. We have got to get tougher mentally.”

Senior forward T.J. Robinson led Long Beach with a game-high 25 points and 13 rebounds — his 41st career double-double.  The senior matched a career high making 11 of 12 free throws, after entering the game as a 41.7 percent shooter from the line. All 11 of his free throws came in the second half, where he scored 15 of the 49ers’ 33 points. Ware added 15 points, while senior Larry Anderson had 13.

Montana (4-2) outscored Long Beach, 41-33, after the break en route to the win. Derek Selvig, who the 49ers held scoreless in Long Beach last year, led three Grizzlies in double figures with 14 points. The 49ers struggled from the floor, especially in the second half when they made just 8 of 23 shots (34.8 percent).  The Grizzlies shot 51 percent (26 of 51) from the floor.

Long Beach controlled the first half, but Montana was able to hang around thanks to seven offensive rebounds and 10 second chance points.  Ware connected on three 3-pointers to lead LBSU at the break with 11 points, while Robinson added 10 on 5 of 6 shooting. 

Trailing by two, 22-20, with 8:20 to play the 49ers went on a 10-0 run to build an eight-point lead. Robinson started the spurt with back-to-back jumpers, and Ware followed with back-to-back 3-pointers. 

The 49ers pushed the lead to as many as 11 on a pair of free throws by Anderson with 1:56 to play, but the Grizzlies scored the last two baskets to cut the lead to 38-32 at the half. The Beach went cold down the stretch, not scoring a field goal for the final 4:21 of the half. Anderson’s four free throws were the 49ers only points after Ware’s third 3-pointer of the half.

Montana out-rebounded LBSU, 18-13, with Phelps’ five boards, leading all first-half rebounders.

The 49ers will return to action Monday to face No. 7-ranked Louisville at the KFC Yum! Center in Kentucky.