Men's Volleyball, Sports

Ledoux, Hampton named to AVCA All-West Team

Senior outside hitter Caitlin Ledoux and sophomore middle blocker Haleigh Hampton were both named to the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) All-West Region Team, the AVCA announced Tuesday. The Long Beach State duo was among 14 players honored from the Big West, Mountain West, and Western Athletic Conferences.

Ledoux, a two-time honorable mention All-American, was named to the All-Region team for the third time, joining six other 49ers to claim the honor three times. Ledoux led the 49ers in 2011 with 3.61 kills per set, and had 211 digs while playing all six rotations for the 49ers, and was selected despite missing six matches due to a shin injury. She was one of just three LBSU to finish her career with over 1,500 kills and 1,000 digs.

Hampton had a breakout season with the 49ers as a sophomore. Leading the 49ers with 330 kills on .336 hitting, the middle blocker will again finish in the top five nationally in blocking after coming in third as a freshman. Hampton currently ranks third nationally with 1.61 blocks per set, and led the nation with 39 solo blocks, helping the 49ers rank second nationally in blocking as a team. The sophomore led the Big West in blocking and finished fifth in hitting percentage.

The 49ers had two selections for the first time since the 2009 season, when Ledoux was joined by Naomi Washington on the All-Region team.

With their selection to the All-Region team, both Ledoux and Hampton are guaranteed at least an Honorable Mention All-America selection, and will be vying for selection as one of 42 players selected as a member of the 14-person first, second or third team All-Americans. The 2011 AVCA All-American teams will be announced on Wednesday, Dec. 14.