Sports, Women's Basketball

Spargo’s big first half helps 49ers stay perfect at home

Freshman Lauren Spargo matched her season high for scoring in the first half alone Friday night as she helped lead the Long Beach State women’s basketball team to victory in the Walter Pyramid.

LBSU is still perfect at home (3-0) after defeating Dartmouth College, 66-52 Friday night.

Down 12-5 early, Spargo came in off the bench and knocked down two quick 3-pointers, one from each wing, to spark a 15-0 run that gave the Beach a lead it would never relent.

After the early deficit, the ‘Niners (4-7) responded by outscoring the Big Green (2-7), 33-11 to end the half with a 38-23 lead.

The Beach was able to take advantage of sloppy Dartmouth play, forcing 22 turnovers while committing only 11 for the game.

“I think our bench is really deep and we all have the ability to score,” Spargo said. “My mentality as a shooter is to go in there and make a difference. My job is to make shots.”

While Spargo did not score in the second frame, her 16 first half points held up as a game high. She shot 6 of 12 from the field, including 3-for-7 from behind the arc to go along with two rebounds, two steals and an assist.

Spargo added: “We have come a long way since summer. We are getting more trust in each other.”

The freshman guard was one of four ‘Niners to score in double figures. Senior forward Tipesa Moorer did so for the third straight game, tallying 15 points to go with three rebounds and one assist.

Junior Mary Ochiltree and freshman Alex Sanchez added 10 points apiece for the Beach. Ochiltree also contributed a game–high seven rebounds.

The Big Green had one last run at The Beach, completing an 8-0 spurt with just under four minutes to play. The run brought the score to 60-50 but LBSU never surrendered its double digit lead.

Dartmouth was paced by junior guard Faziah Steen, who scored a team-high 15 points to go with her four rebounds and two assists. Steen did not score from within the three point line, as she was five-of-eight from behind the arc.

Freshman center Tia Dawson added 11 for Dartmouth and pitched in seven boards and a game-high six blocked shots.

LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said it is very important for the team to be able to close out games.

“We have got to put two halves together. I do not think we stayed disciplined and focused defensively (during the final Dartmouth run),” she said, “I think there was a stretch where they just played harder than us.”

Wynn added that she was proud of the team’s resilience and ability to close out the game and once again expand the lead after it was dwindled down to 10.

The Beach returns to action Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m. as it hosts the University of Western Michigan to begin the second annual Beach Classic tournament.