Sports, Women's Basketball

‘Niners run out of gas in double-OT thriller

Looking to remain perfect in the Pyramid, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team ran out of steam Monday night in the Beach Classic championship game.

The ‘Niners (5-8) fought back all night before falling in double-overtime, 73-64, against Wichita State University (6-5).

Down by 13 early, the Beach could not manage to cut deep into the deficit in the first half, and trailed the Shockers 30-19 at the break.

LBSU wasted little time mounting a comeback in the second half, beginning the frame with a 12-0 run. Freshman guard Alex Sanchez led the surge, scoring six of her 11 points during the spurt.

After the Beach took the lead, the margin never spread further than three points in the second half.

Down 55-53 with less than 30 seconds to play, Long Beach took possession in search of an open look. Junior guard Mary Ochiltree found just that, as she knocked down a shot in the paint to knot the contest with just 3.7 ticks remaining in regulation.

Wichita’s junior guard, Jessica Diamond came up short on a deep three-point attempt at the buzzer.

During the first overtime period neither team could gain the edge and the stanza ended in a 61-61 tie.

A quick three propelled the Shockers to an early lead in the second overtime and the lead soon stretched to 10.

The Beach could never find an answer for senior guard Haleigh Lankster, who paced Wichita with a game-high 24 points to go along with four rebounds.

The ‘Niners were led in scoring by senior forward Tipesa Moorer, who compiled all of her 14 points in the second half and overtime.

Ochiltree added 13 to go with 6 boards and an assist.

LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said the team let-up defensively in the latter stages.

“I think fatigue played a little bit of a factor but we were not disciplined defensively like we needed to be, like we were to get us in the first overtime.”

Wynn added: “We battled, we are fighting and scrapping. For them to come back and send it into overtime, I am really proud of the girls. Hopefully we learned and now next time we are in this situation we can accomplish our goal of getting that victory.”

The Beach returns to action Thursday, December 29 when it hosts U.C. Riverside at 7 p.m. to open Big West Conference play.