Sports, Women's Basketball

Spargo earns Big West Player of the Week

Freshman guard Lauren Spargo has been named the Big West Conference Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the conference office announced Monday afternoon.

It marks the first time this season that a freshman has received the honor and first weekly award for LBSU this year.

Spargo led the 49ers to a pair of wins last weekend as the 49ers improved to 5-7 overall and remained undefeated at home with a 4-0 record.

The Santa Clarita, Calif. native came off the bench to spark LBSU to a 66-52 victory over Dartmouth College last Friday. The 49ers were trailing by seven before Spargo entered the game and scored eight unanswered points to give the ‘Niners the lead for good.

She went on to match her career-high with 16 points, while adding two rebounds and two steals.

Spargo followed that performance on Sunday with a new career-best 18 points in a 76-56 romp of Western Michigan on the first day of the Beach Classic Presented by Residence Inn/Courtyard Marriott. She also registered season-highs in field goals made (7), 3-point field goals made (4), rebounds (7) and assists (2).

For the week, Spargo averaged 17 points and 4.5 rebounds per contest, while shooting 48.1 percent from the field.