Sports, Women's Basketball

49ers open Big West play with big win over UC Riverside

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team showed that they don’t like to be doubted. Picked to finish last in Big West Conference play, the ‘Niners used a 70-59 win over UC Riverside as a statement game.

Senior Tipesa Moorer is one who was particularly ecstatic about the victory.

“This was our game where we wanted to come out and make a statement.” She said, “Especially because they beat us last year.”

Freshman Alex Sanchez said that they used being picked to finish last in conference play as motivation.

“Yes, definitely [used it as motivation].” She said, “Being picked last, being called [too] young and [just] freshmen.”

Despite playing just eight players, four 49ers [6-8, 1-0 Big West] scored in double figures as they used a big first half effort to stave off any run that the Highlanders [2-10. 0-1 Big West] tried to mount in the second half.

Moorer led the way for The Beach, scoring 17 points [14 in the first half] on 6 of 14 shooting, she also pulled down six rebounds. Junior Mary Ochiltree added 14 points on 5 of 6 from the field, including 2 of 2 from 3-point range, she also grabbed six rebounds.

Sanchez contributed 13 points on 4 of 9 shooting, while dishing out a game–high six assists and secured six rebounds for the game. Sophomore Hallie Meneses chipped in 12 points on 4 of 9 shooting, including 3 of 5 from behind the arc.

The Beach held a 39-28 advantage at the break, after a Meneses 3-pointer hit nothing-but-net just before time expired in the first half.

The ‘Niners 11-point lead at the break was consistent with their great shooting in the opening frame. The Beach shot 53.6 percent on 15 of 28 shooting, including 4 of 7 from 3-point land.

The ‘Niners also had a solid first half defensive effort against UCR star Tre’Shonti Nottingham, holding her to just seven points in the opening period.

Nottingham got it going in the second half, however, scoring 12 of her game-high 19 points after the break. She and sophomore Natasha Hadley [15 points on 7 of 14 shooting, including a game-high eight rebounds] brought the Highlanders within one-point, 53-52 with just 7:11 remaining in the game.

LBSU head coach Jody Wynn called a timeout after Nottingham’s three-pointer cut the lead to one, and said she told her team to remain calm.

“We emphasized playing with poise [in that timeout].” She said, “We talked about composure, being stronger with the ball, communicating defensively and taking care of the basketball.”

The ‘Niners responded with a 17-7 run to close out the 11-point victory.

Wynn felt that her team was able to show a lot of heart and toughness throughout the contest.

“I think the girls executed both offensively and defensively.” She said, “We knew they were going to make a run, but we were able to answer the run.”

She added, “We played smart down the stretch, made free throws and got key defensive rebounds.”

The ‘Niners will be back in action Saturday against UC Irvine. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Walter Pyramid.