Sports, Women's Basketball

49ers road woes continue with 93-56 loss to Pacific

Stockton, Calif. – The Long Beach State women’s basketball team started out their first Big West Conference road trip of the season on a shaky note.

The 49ers turned the ball over 30 times and gave up a season-high in points allowed in their 93-56 loss at the hands of the University of the Pacific. The defeat dropped the ‘Niners road record to just 1-7 on the season.

LBSU senior Tipesa Moorer was the only player to score in double figures for the ‘Niners. Moorer scored 12 points on 6 of 13 shooting while pulling down a game-high six rebounds.

Freshman Devin Hudson had a solid game after missing the previous eight contests due to injury. Hudson scored six points on 3 of 4 from the field, and pulled down five rebounds while logging just 15 minutes.

Freshman Lauren Spargo finished with nine points on 3-for-6 shooting, while sophomore Hallie Meneses handed out a career-high eight assists.

Despite jumping out to an early 5-0 lead, LBSU was unable to hold off Pacific’s attack. The Tigers went on a 14-0 run over more than than three minutes to take 14-5 stranglehold on the contest.

A layup from Spargo broke the ‘Niners [7-10, 2-2 Big West] scoring drought and brought the lead back down to seven, 14-7. The Tigers [9-6, 3-1 Big West] then broke off a 17-4 run which gave them a 20-point advantage.

Pacific scored 24 points off of LBSU turnovers in the first period, while shooting 47.2 percent [17 of 36] from the field. The Tigers also made 6 of 14 [42.9 percent] from 3-point range and connected on 10-for-11 [90.9 percent] from the free throw line.

While Pacific’s offense was finding the scoring touch early and often, the ‘Niners struggled to get on the scoreboard.

The Beach shot just 36 percent [9 of 25] from the field in the opening period, including just 22.2 percent [2 of 9] from behind the arc.

The ‘Niners started out the second half on a 8-1 run which cut the Tigers lead to 51-32, but Pacific was able to weather the small storm LBSU put together.

The second period proved to be much of the same, with the ‘Niners turning the ball over, and Pacific continuing their outstanding shooting. The Tigers shot 48.5 percent [16 of 33] from the field after the break.

Pacific had four players score in double figures for the contest, led by Ashley Wakefield. Wakefield scored 21 points on 8 of 12 shooting, including 2 of 3 from 3-point range. Kendall Kenyon was next in line for the Tigers, scoring 18 points on 6 of 13 from the field.

Erica McKenzie chipped in 12 points on 4 of 10 shooting and pulled down five rebounds. Ashley Smith also scored 12 points for Pacific on 4 of 6 from the field.

LBSU will try and break even on the road trip Saturday when they pay a visit to UC Davis. Tip is scheduled for 2 p.m.