Sports, Women's Basketball

‘Niners pay a visit to CSUF

In its only game this week, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team will be matched up against rival Cal State Fullerton at Titan Gym on Saturday.

The 49ers are coming off two consecutive victories, a 46-34 win over UC Santa Barbara, and a 74-67 victory over Cal Poly San Luis Opisbo, and are looking to make it three in a row.

The ‘Niners will rely heavily on the experience and leadership of senior forward Tipesa Moorer — the only senior on this LBSU squad. Moorer is averaging 12.8 points on 43.2 percent shooting, while pulling down 4.7 rebounds per game.

LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said that despite being a senior, Moorer is still showing signs of growth.

“She’s [Moorer] really stepped up as the season has progressed as an on court leader for us,” she said. “She has learned to demand as much, if not more of herself than others. She has put in some consistent performances.”

While Moorer is the go-to option for The Beach, Freshman Alex Sanchez also has the ability to make a big impact on the contest. Sanchez is a stat-stuffing hybrid player, who on the season is averaging nine points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists.

Another freshman, Devin Hudson, is likely to play a big role as well on Saturday. Hudson, who stands at 6-foot-3, has given the ‘Niners a presence in the paint that they haven’t had all season long. In three games since her return from injury, Hudson is averaging 10.3 points and 9.6 rebounds per game.

The Titans hold a 8-10 overall record, but have been struggling so far in Big West Conference play, picking up just one win in six contests.

Regardless of its record, CSUF is still a dangerous team, and Wynn is well aware of that fact.

“They’ve got a group of talented kids,” she said. “They play very, very hard, and last year they out toughed us.”

The talent starts with senior guard Megan Richardson. Richardson is one of the premier scorer’s in the Big West. The two-time All-Big West First-Team player is averaging 16.7 points per contest this season.

Wynn said she knows what kind of damage Richardson can do.

“Richardson is a fantastic guard,” she said. “She can score from the moment she steps in the gym, and we understand that.”

Wynn feels the key to victory on Saturday will be who can bring both the mental and physical toughness to the floor.

“We just have to bring our mental and physical toughness that we displayed last week against Santa Barbara and Cal Poly, she said. “We have to bring it to Fullerton because they are tough kids over there.”

Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Titan Gym.