Men's Basketball, Sports

‘Niners clinch Big West title outright

With sole ownership of its second consecutive Big West Conference regular season championship on the line, the Long Beach State men’s basketball team responded with one of its most complete efforts of the season.

The game did not resemble a rematch between two teams who needed overtime to settle the contest just a month ago, as the 49ers (21-7, 14-0 Big West) dominated visiting UC Riverside (13-16, 6-9) from start to finish Saturday evening en route to a conference-clinching 64-40 victory.

The 40 point output by the Highlanders is the lowest allowed by LBSU in the Dan Monson coaching era — Monson is now in his fifth season with the 49ers. The ‘Niners outshout Riverside 43.1 to 28.8 for the game.

The ‘Niners set the tone early, using advantages in every facet of the game to outscore the Highlanders 41-18 in the first half.

The 49ers forced 13 Highlander turnovers while only committing 6 of their own in the opening period. The Beach out-rebounded Riverside 22-13 in the first half with the Highlanders shooting only 32 percent from the field.

LBSU continued its dominance after the break, never allowing the Highlanders to pull any closer than 21.

Monson said the team must continue to play at a high-level to avoid another letdown in the Big West Tournament.

“The most pleasing thing for me was our approach and focus today,” he said. “That is the first time I have seen these guys in four years with an opponent they thought they were better than, approach them like a Santa Barbara or a Kansas. I told them that is the last step they have to being a great team.”

Long Beach smothered the Highlanders defensively and did not surrender double-digit scoring to a single member of their squad.

Senior guard Phil Martin, the second leading scorer in the Big West (17.5 points per game), did lead Riverside as usual — but finished with just nine points. Martin also led the team with 10 rebounds and a game-high five blocks.

Monson added: “I really thought they had a great edge in this game and prepared well. They were very focused and I thought Casper did a great job of getting into Phil Martin early and disrupting his flow, when he did get some looks he was not comfortable.”

LBSU countered with four double-digit scorers, led by senior guard Casper Ware who compiled a game-high 17 points to go along with four assists, two rebounds and three steals.

Ware said the team must have a different perspective about closing out the regular season strong, even with the conference title in-hand.

“Last year we had not been in that position before, to lock the conference championship up that early,” he said. “We were a little laid back. We have to have a whole different attitude and we showed that today.”

Senior guard Larry Anderson added 11 points, 3 rebounds, one assist and a steal. The steal was the 201st of Anderson’s career, making him the all-time leader in steals at LBSU.

“We just came out really hungry and delivered a punch right off the bat,” Anderson said. “I think this is probably one of our most complete games since we have been here to be honest. Coach kept saying, ‘just drill them.’ They had their runs but overall I think we played really good.”

Senior forward T.J. Robinson compiled his 52nd career double-double with 10 points, a game-high 16 rebounds and four assists.

Eugene Phelps added 11 points and three rebounds. The senior forward is now 22 points away from joining Ware, Anderson and Robinson in the 1,000 point career scoring club.

The Beach will return to the floor Wednesday for senior night when it hosts UC Irvine in the final home game of the season at 7 p.m.