Sports, Women's Basketball

‘Niners late run falls short against Pacific

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team dropped a close game to the University of the Pacific, 73-68 Tuesday night at the Walter Pyramid.

The 49ers (11-17, 6-9 Big West Conference) opened the second half strong, as senior forward Tipesa Moorer forced a turnover right as the second period began, leading to a basket by junior guard Jhakia McDonald.

A steal by freshman Chantel Dooley resulted in a layup that forced Pacific (15-11, 8-6 Big West) to take an early timeout.

Halfway through the final period, the 49ers were able to mount another run. Sophomore guard Hallie Meneses scored a layup off a steal. On the following possession, freshman forward Devin Hudson made a clean pass from the high post to a cutting Meneses, who nailed the left-handed layup.

Junior guard Mary Ochiltree made a basket off of a Dooley pass to tie the game at 54, with nine minutes left in the game.

A minute and a half later, LBSU took their first lead of the night, 59-58, after a pair of free throws by Dooley and a basket by Moorer.

In the closing minutes, Dooley stole the ball and scored a basket. This was soon followed with a layup by Moorer to tie the game at 64. However, Pacific’s Erica McKenzie responded quickly, draining two 3-pointers to seal the Tigers’ victory.

“We dominated the paint and took care of the ball,” LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said.

But the 49ers were just not able to “step up and knock down a free throw,” she said in reference to her team shooting just 12-23 from the charity stripe.

Moorer paced the 49ers attack, scoring 17 points on 7 of 13 shooting, while pulling down eight rebounds and grabbing three steals. Dooley chipped in 11 points and six steals. Hudson and freshman Lauren Spargo each contributed 10 points.

“Tipesa and Chantel played great [and] we got big production from Devin and Spargo,” said Wynn.

Pacific got out to a quick start, taking a 14-6 lead, but the 49ers were able to spur a 10-2 run off of a Hudson put back.

This basket was quickly followed with a 3-pointer from Moorer, which cut the Pacific lead to two. Seconds later, Dooley knocked down a basket off a pass from freshman Alex Sanchez, to tie the game 16-16, with ten minutes left to go in the half.

Pacific managed to close out the half with 35-31 lead.

“Our defense just was not there,” said Wynn. “We have to guard the ball better, [Pacific’s 3-pointers could have been prevented] with just a little switch. It’s inexcusable.”

McKenzie scored 22 points for Pacific on 8 of 15 shooting, icing nearly every 49er run. She shot 50 percent from beyond the arc, including several step-back 3-pointers from deep.

“[She’s] proven she could make NBA [range] threes,” said Wynn. “Sometimes, there’s just nothing you can do.”

Gena Johnson scored 19 points for the Tigers. Pacific shot 66.7% from the 3-point line in the second half.

The 49ers next contest will be against Cal State Fullerton on Thursday at the Walter Pyramid. Tipoff will be at 7:00.