Men's Basketball, Sports, Women's Basketball

‘Niners dominate Big West awards

The Big West Conference announced its regular season award winners on Monday, and they were littered with Long Beach State 49ers.

Senior guard Casper Ware took home his second straight Big West Player of the Year award after averaging 16.9 points and 3.2 assists per game. Ware led the ‘Niners to a 22-8 overall record, including a 15-1 conference mark.

Ware was also selected to the All-Big West First Team for the second time in his career.

LBSU head coach Dan Monson said that Ware was the most deserving player of the award.

“If there is one individual player who deserves it [Big West Player of the Year], it’s Casper Ware,” he said. “He’s the reason why we went 15-1 [in conference].”

Senior guard Larry Anderson was named to the All-Big West First Team for the third time in his career. Anderson was also named Defensive Player of the Year in the conference.

Monson said Anderson put a lot of focus and work into his defense this season.

“Larry [Anderson] worked hard on his defense this season. Casper [Ware] may be the most happy for him.” Monson said.

Anderson averaged 14 points, 5 rebounds, 3.1 assists, and 1.9 steals per game this season.

Senior forward T.J. Robinson was also named to the All-Big West First Team for the second time in his career after putting up 12.3 points and 10.3 boards per contest.

Senior forward Eugene Phelps was an All-Big West Second Team honoree. Phelps averaged 9.6 points and 5.7 rebounds per game.

Junior wing James Ennis earned an Honorable Mention nomination after averaging 9.6 points and 3.7 boards in his first season at LBSU.

Monson repeated as Big West Coach of the Year, guiding the 49ers to the regular season conference championship.

“The individual stuff comes from winning,” he said. “I feel like my first year here when we won six games was my best. [Winning] is easier when you have talent.”

On the women’s side, senior Tipesa Moorer was selected to the All-Big West Second Team after averaging a team-high 13.3 points on 42.9 percent shooting. Moorer also pulled down 4.7 rebounds per game.

Freshman Alex Sanchez received an Honorable Mention nomination, while also being named to the Big West All-Freshman Team. Sanchez averaged 9.1 points per game (second on the team) and 4.8 rebounds.