‘Niners victorious in return to Rhodes Tennis Center

The No. 58-ranked Long Beach State women’s tennis team prevailed in its first game back at the Rhodes Tennis Center as it beat San Diego State 5-2, improving its record to 7-3.

Despite the 49ers loss in two of the three doubles, they rallied back in singles, winning five of the six singles matches.

The ‘Niners fell behind early as senior Rachel Manasse and freshman Laura Bernard were unable to contain the Aztecs regionally ranked Ellison sisters, seniors Roxanne and Sierra, as they failed to capitalize on their early 5-2 lead in their eventual 6-8 loss.

“[We] started out good,” Bernard said. “[But] we did not finish well.”

On the No. 2 court, senior Anais Dallara and junior Klaudia Malenovska rallied back after trailing 1-4 early in the match, eventually winning the set 8-6 as Dallara played nearly impenetrable in the front with several un-returnable overhands and volleys.

However, their efforts were not matched by their teammates, as senior Julie Luzar and junior Sarah Cantlay suffered a 3-8 loss against SDSU’s pair of senior Emma Cioffi and sophomore Laura Antonana-Iriarte.

Although the 49ers failed to attain the doubles point, they took over in singles as they only gave up one match to the visiting Aztecs.

Manasse led the charge as she dominated on the No. 2 court in a swift 6-0, 6-1 victory over Cioffi.

Junior Anna Jeczmionka contributed to the 49ers success in her return to the singles lineup as she beat SDSU freshman Kristin Buth 6-3, 6-2.

Soon after, Cantlay suffered the ‘Niners only singles loss as she caved against Ellison in two tough sets 4-6, 3-6.

Nevertheless, Long Beach State triumphed in the remaining matches as Bernard rallied back after trailing 0-3 in the first set to earn a 6-3 win against Antonan-Irarte.

She responded to the first three games with a quick change of pace.

“I had to play deeper, more aggressive,” Bernard said.

She continued to outplay her opponent in the second set as she forced several errors with a wide variety of hits and great hustle.

“I like to run,” Bernard said. “I mix a lot, with slices, spins, and backhands.”

The 49ers continued to win as Dallara won her match over the Aztec junior Julia Wais in a 6-2, 7-6 victory.

Malenovska followed suit as she was able to rally back from a 6-7 loss in the first set to win the match in a tie-breaker 10-3 after winning every game in the second set.