Men's Basketball, Sports

LBSU stuns top-seeded Cal Poly

ANAHEIM — What a difference a few weeks can make.

The seventh-seeded Long Beach State women’s basketball team accomplished the improbable by upsetting second-seeded Cal State Northridge on the Matadors home court last Tuesday.

Today, they achieved what many thought was the virtually impossible.

The ‘Niners upset top-seeded Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and two-time Big West Player of the Year Kristina Santiago 51-48 Friday afternoon at Honda Center, punching their ticket to the tournament championship game on Saturday.

The 49ers dropped three out of their last four Big West Conference games heading into the postseason tournament, but have been on quite the ride over the last four days.

The teams split their two meetings earlier this season, the Mustangs recently defeated the ‘Niners in an emotional 68-41 victory on the same night that 49er freshman Bianka Balthazar was carted off the court on a stretcher, causing the game to be forfeited by LBSU.

“This was an incredible game with a great atmosphere,” LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said. “I am extremely proud of the collective team defense and effort in the second half.”

The ‘Niners made every effort to not let Santiago be responsible for their tournament exit.

Although the recently named Big West Player of the Year had game-high’s in both points and rebounds, 21 and 12 respectively, she did not have her usual impact on the final outcome of the game.

“[Kristina] Santiago is one of the most difficult players to defend since I started coaching here, because her [offensive] arsenal is so strong,” Wynn said. “Devin [Hudson] did a really nice job on Santiago.”

Freshman post Devin Hudson drew the assignment of attempting to slow down Santiago, and she felt she had to just step up and accept the challenge.

“Like my coach said, Santiago is the best in the league,” Hudson said. “It was just me having to step up in order to move on and do the best I can do.”

Hudson was able to make each Santiago field goal attempt a contested one, holding her to just 7 of 17 shooting for the game. She also contributed a double-double herself, scoring 10 points while pulling down 10 rebounds for the contest.

With senior Tipesa Moorer battling foul trouble for most of the game, the 49er youth were called upon to step up in crucial moments of the game.

Sophomore guard Hallie Meneses scored a team-high 16 points on 6 of 9 shooting, including a key jumper that put LBSU up 49-46 with 29 seconds to play.

Meneses said that she was looking to be a leader toward the end of the game.

“As a point guard, I’m told to be a leader,” she said. “My mom told me I’m too easy to guard, and that I need to be aggressive, so why not take charge.”

Freshman Alex Sanchez scored six points, while grabbing five rebounds and dishing out two assists. Sanchez’s sure-handed ball-handling was key in the waining minutes of the game.

Freshman Chantel Dooley pitched in six points, seven rebounds and three assists, including converting a pair of free throws to seal the ‘Niners victory with six seconds to play.

Freshman guard Lauren Spargo knocked down a pair of back-to-back 3-pointers which gave the ‘Niners their largest lead of the night, 45-39, with 5:38 left in the game, it also capped off a 21-6 LBSU run that lasted 9:05 seconds.

“Sometimes inexperience works in your favor, because they don’t know what’s [at stake],” Wynn said. “We got the [bad play] out of our system and we picked up the pieces. We felt that we had unfinished business.”

Despite shooting just 18.5 percent (5 of 26) from the field in the first half, the ‘Niners trailed by just six at the break, 19-13.

LBSU went scoreless for over six minutes in the first half.

Hudson and Meneses each had six points to pace the 49ers in the opening period.

Santiago scored seven first half points for the Mustangs on 2 of 6 shooting. Cal Poly shot 20.8 percent (5 of 24) from the field as a team in the opening period.

Santiago was the only Mustang in double figures for the contest. Christine Martin scored nine points on 3 of 7 shooting including 2 of 5 from 3-point range.

LBSU will face sixth-seeded UC Santa Barbara Saturday at 2 p.m. The winner will be earn an automatic NCAA tournament berth.  

JR Salazar

A win tomorrow should keep Jody Wynn at the helm for a bit longer.