Men's Basketball, Sports

LBSU ousted in Big West championship

After becoming the first team ever to eliminate the number one and two seeds in a Big West Conference tournament, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team has seen its run come to an end Saturday.

The seventh-seeded ‘Niners (14-18) were defeated, 63-54, by UC Santa Barbara (16-15) in the final as the Gauchos became the first No. 6-seed to win the tournament.

LBSU trailed 21-20 at the half and was able to make small runs in the second after falling behind by nine, but couldn’t contain the Gauchos in the waning minutes.

49er head coach Jody Wynn said she is proud of the team and the way it poised itself for a potential NCAA tournament appearance.

“This team has been through quite a bit,” Wynn said. “Picked to finish ninth place out of nine teams, a lot of unknowns, a lot of uncertainty, only one senior, adversity, injuries – it makes a coaching staff extremely proud the way these ladies poured their heart and soul into improving each and every day.”

Wynn added: “Being here with a chance to get to the NCAA tournament when no one thought we could have ever done it, it’s great to be a part of their group and be able to fight with them and fight for them.”

LBSU freshman guard Alex Sanchez led all scorers with 17 points to go along with six rebounds, three assists and a steal.

Sanchez said the run to the championship game is just the beginning and the team expects to win in the years to come.

“We’ve been through many situations with every game and practice. As a freshman, our class has learned a lot. This was a big step so we will learn from it and be better each year. We will work harder and we’ll be back.”

Freshman forward Devin Hudson added a double-double for the Beach with 15 points and a game-high 14 rebounds.

“First of all I think the reason we’re here is our senior Tipesa Moorer,” Hudson said. “She has been my role model since day one.”

Hudson added: “Today playing in the post in the beginning it was really hard. My shots weren’t falling and she (Tilleman) can guard. It was either go hard or go home.”

The Gauchos were paced by the tournament’s Most Valuable Player, Kirsten Tilleman. The junior center had a team-high 16 points to go with 11 boards, three assists and a steal.

Three members of the Beach were named to the All-Tournament team as Sanchez, Hudson and sophomore guard Hallie Meneses were honored.

Tilleman and sophomore Melissa Zornig were honored for Santa Barbara.