Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags dropped in ninth by Shockers

The Long Beach State baseball team was unable to hold onto an early 7-2 lead as they lost to Wichita State on Friday.

The Dirtbags (6-14) surrendered six runs to the Shockers in the bottom in the ninth inning en route to an 8-7 loss.

LBSU broke the game open in the second inning, jumping out to a 4-0 lead behind a two-RBI single from Matt Duffy.

Wichita State was able to get on the scoreboard in the bottom of the second after Dirtbags starter Matt Anderson gave up back-to-back doubles to Dayne Parker and Ryan Hege.

Anderson pitched yet another solid game, throwing 6 and 1/3 innings allowing two runs on seven hits while striking out seven Shockers. This was the fifth straight start that Anderson has topped six innings pitched.

LBSU scored again in the seventh as Ino Patron singled in Jeff McNeill who reached base with a bunt single, putting the Dirtbags ahead 5-1.

Wichita State was able to cut into the LBSU lead again in the seventh, knocking out Anderson in the process. A Josh Halbert single scored Aaron Rea, cutting the lead to 5-2, forcing LBSU head coach Troy Buckley to pull Anderson, replacing him with Kyle Friedrichs.

Friedrichs was able to get two fly-ball outs from Taylor Doggett and Kevin Hall to end the Shockers threat.

The Dirtbags added two more runs in the top of the ninth, led by savvy base running from Juan Avila.

After reaching base on a hit-by-pitch, Avila stole both second and third base before being knocked in by a Brennan Metzger double down the left field line. Richard Prigatano then singled to right field, scoring Metzger to give LBSU a 7-2 advantage going into the bottom of the ninth.

Josh Frye came on in relief for Friedrichs in the bottom of the ninth, and immediately ran into trouble.

Parker doubled to center field, and advanced to third on an error by Metzger. Frye then walked pinch hitter Garrett Bayliff to put runners on first and third.

Halbert singled to second base, scoring Parker. Bayliff advanced to third and Halbert to second on an error by McNeill. Doggett followed with a single through the right side, scoring Bayliff and Halbert, cutting the Dirtbags lead to 7-5.

Hall reached base on a fielders choice and Don Lambert singled up the middle to put runners on first and second with one out. Another LBSU error allowed Johnny Coy to reach base as Hall and Lambert advanced to load the bases.

Frye walked Casey Gillaspie which scored Hall to cut the LBSU lead to 7-6. Rea then reached base on a fielders choice, scoring Lambert and tying the game at seven. A single from Parker scored pinch runner Tyler Coughenour to give the Shockers an 8-7 victory.

The Dirtbags had a solid offensive game, totaling 13 hits for the game. McNeill, Duffy, Patron, Metzger, Prigatano and Johnny Bekakis each had two hits for LBSU.

Frye surrendered six runs, four earned on five hits in two-thirds of an inning pitched.