LBSU bounces back with rout of Shockers

The Long Beach State baseball team responded to yet another ninth inning meltdown with one it its best overall performances of the season.

The Dirtbags (7-14) scored 13 runs on 16 hits on their way to a 13-1 rout of Wichita State.

Sophomore starting pitcher Ryan Strufing threw six innings of scoreless, three-hit baseball which included seven strikeouts.

Senior center fielder Brennan Metzger led the Dirtbags attack at the plate, coming up with two hits in four at-bats while driving in three runs and scoring three times.

Sophomore designated hitter Ino Patron went 3-for-5 for the game, driving in two runs while scoring three.

Freshman right fielder Richard Prigatano went 2-for-4 with two RBI. Sophomore left fielder Johnny Bekakis collected three hits of his own, including one RBI and one run scored.

Junior shortstop Matt Duffy rounded out the multiple hit club going 2-for-5 with one RBI and two runs scored.

The Dirtbags jumped on top early, scoring three runs in the top of the first inning behind an RBI single from Patron and a pair of RBI doubles from Metzger and Pritagano.

LBSU added three more runs in the fourth, led by heads-up base running from sophomore first baseman Jeff Yamaguchi and Bekakis. Both players crossed home plate in the inning after a pair of steals put them in scoring position.

After adding one run in the fifth, the Dirtbags scored four times in the sixth led by a two RBI triple from Metzger. LBSU finished its onslaught in the eighth with two more runs.

Freshman relief pitcher Edgar Gomez was the only Dirtbag arm to allow a run. Junior reliever Eddie Magallon, who has struggled so far this season, pitched one inning allowing one hit. Sophomore left-hander Jake Stassi rounded out the pitching with an inning of no-hit baseball.