Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags open Big West play with win

The Long Beach State baseball team opened Big West Conference play with a 4-3 road victory over Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on Friday night.

Senior center fielder Brennan Metzger’s two-run homerun in the top of the seventh inning paced the Dirtbags offensively, while the LBSU pitching staff was able to tame the Mustangs at the plate.

Before Metzger’s blast, the Dirtbags (9-15, 1-0 Big West) were able to crack the scoreboard in the second inning. Sophomore first baseman Jeff Yamaguchi to left center off of Mustangs pitcher Joey Wagman.

Sophomore left fielder Johnny Bekakis then doubled in Yamaguchi to give LBSU a 1-0 lead.

Dirtbags junior starting pitcher Matt Anderson earned his second win of the season after tossing six innings of five-hit baseball. Anderson gave up just two runs on five hits while striking out four Mustangs.

The Dirtbags opened a 4-0 lead in the seventh starting with a single from sophomore second baseman Jeff McNeil. A ground out from Yamaguchi advanced McNeil to into scoring position.

McNeil then advanced to third on a wild pitch from Wagman. Bekakis then reached base on a fielder’s choice, scoring McNeil from third on a throwing error from Cal Poly third baseman Jimmy Allen.

Senior catcher Kellen Hoime then flied out, bringing Metzger to the plate. With Bekakis on first, Metzger homered over the left field fence, giving the Dirtbags a four-run lead.

Cal Poly (16-9, 0-1 Big West) answered LBSU’s three-run seventh with one of their own. First baseman Tommy Pluschkell started off the bottom of the seventh with a single to left field.

Second baseman Evan Busby then walked to put runners on first and second with no outs, forcing LBSU head coach Troy Buckley to replace Anderson with sophomore reliever Jon Maciel.

Pluschkell and Busby each advanced on a passed ball from Hoime, putting them on third and second, respectively. Shortstop Mike Miller grounded out, scoring Pluschkell and advancing Busby to third.

Designated hitter Matt Russell grounded out to junior shortstop Matt Duffy, scoring Busby from third to cut the Dirtbags lead to 4-2.

Mustangs’ center fielder Mitch Haniger put an exclamation point on the inning for Cal Poly with a solo homer to left field. Maciel retired Allen as LBSU took a 4-3 lead into the eighth.

Sophomore relief pitcher Kyle Friedrichs earned his second save of the season after throwing 1 1/3 innings of scoreless baseball to help the Dirtbags close out the Mustangs for their first Big West victory.