Baseball, Sports

Errors doom LBSU in loss to Cal Poly

Three errors which led to four unearned runs kept the Long Beach State baseball team from defeating Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for the second time in as many days on Saturday.

Despite a 2-for-4, 3 RBI performance from junior third baseman Juan Avila, LBSU was unable to overcome the mistakes and dropped its second Big West Conference game 6-4 to the Mustangs.

The Dirtbags (9-16, 1-1 Big West) continued where they left off on Friday, scoring a run in the first inning as Avila doubled in sophomore designated hitter Ino Patron to give LBSU a 1-0 lead.

LBSU added another run in the third as junior shortstop Matt Duffy doubled in senior center fielder Brennan Metzger who reached base on a walk.

Cal Poly (17-9, 1-1 Big West) answered with three runs in the bottom of the third inning. Mustang catcher Chris Hoo reached base on an error from Duffy. A single from first baseman Tommy Pluschkell put runners on first and second.

Second baseman Evan Busby reached base on a fielder’s choice as Hoo was thrown out at third base. Cal Poly shortstop Mike Miller doubled in Pluschkell and Busby to tie the game at two.

Designated hitter Tim Wise then singled up the middle, advancing Miller to third base. Center fielder Mitch Haniger reached base on a fielder’s choice, scoring Miller to give the Mustangs a 3-2 lead.

The Dirtbags added two runs in the seventh as an Avila single to left field scored senior catcher Kellen Hoime and Metzger. LBSU recaptured the lead 4-3.

More mistakes led to Cal Poly tying the game at four in the bottom of the seventh. Hoo reached base on a throwing error from sophomore second baseman Jeff McNeil. Hoo then advanced to second on a wild pitch from Dirtbags starter sophomore Ryan Strufing.

A double down the left field line from Pluschkell scored Hoo to tie the game at four apiece.

Cal Poly retired the LBSU side in the top of the eighth, and took full control of the game in the bottom of the inning.

Strufing walked Wise to open the bottom half of the eighth, prompting LBSU head coach Troy Buckley to replace Strufing with sophomore reliever Eddie Magallon.

Magallon retired Haniger, and then Wise stole second base. Third baseman Jimmy Allen singled in Wise to give the Mustangs a 5-4 lead. Mustang’s left fielder David Armendariz singled up the middle to put runners on first and second.

Hoo then singled, and Allen scored on a throwing error by Avila to give Cal Poly a 6-4 lead that the Dirtbags could not recover from.

LBSU will look to take the series from the Mustangs on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.