Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags secure series over UCR

The Long Beach State baseball team went into its series against UC Riverside looking to capitalize on its opening series victory over Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

The Dirtbags (12-17, 4-2 Big West Conference) didn’t get off to a good start, however, as they dropped the first game of the three game series to the Highlanders on Thursday, 3-2.

Thursday’s game went 10 innings with junior starting pitcher Matt Anderson tossing six strong innings for LBSU. Anderson allowed just two runs on six hits but struck out just one batter.

UCR (9-15, 2-4 Big West) starting pitcher Dylan Stuart threw eight innings of nine-hit baseball. Stuart allowed just two runs while striking out three Dirtbags.

The game was handed over to the bullpen yet again for LBSU, and senior relief pitcher Matt Johnson held tough through three innings.

The Dirtbags and the Highlanders went into extra innings tied at two runs apiece, but were retired in order in the top of the 10th after senior center fielder Brennan Metzger flied out to center, sophomore first baseman Jeff Yamaguchi grounded out to short, and freshman right fielder Richard Pritagano struck out looking.

Johnson walked left fielder A.J. Beckley to open the bottom of the 10th. A sacrifice bunt from Phil Holinsworth allowed Beckley to advance to second base.

The Dirtbags chose to intentionally walk shortstop Eddie Young to put runners on first and third. UCR first baseman Vince Gonzalez then doubled to right field, scoring Beckley and taking the first game in walk-off fashion.

Friday’s contest was another close one but ended with a different result with the Dirtbags pulling it out 5-4.

Sophomore starting pitcher Ryan Strufing (4-2) picked up the win for LBSU, working seven innings allowing four runs, three of the earned variety, while striking out two.

The Dirtbags got on the scoreboard early after a single from Metzger scored junior short stop Matt Duffy in the top of the first.

UCR answered with a run in the third and two in the fourth an RBI single from right fielder David Andriese and an RBI single from designated hitter Nick Vilter, giving the Highlanders a 3-2 lead heading into the fifth inning.

LBSU opened the game up in the top of the fifth with an RBI groundout from junior third baseman Juan Avila. Metzger then doubled down the left field line, scoring Duffy. Sophomore left fielder Johnny Bekakis singled in Metzger to give the Dirtbags a 5-3 advantage.

UCR added a run in the bottom of the eighth to cut the Dirtbag lead to 5-4, but sophomore reliever Kyle Friedrichs closed the door on the Highlanders comeback hopes.

The right-hander picked up his third save of the season after working two scoreless innings allowing just one hit while striking out two.

The rubber game on Saturday was all LBSU.

The Dirtbags took an 8-2 decision over the Highlanders behind seven innings of work on the mound from starter Shawn Stuart (3-0). The senior right-hander allowed two runs on seven hits while striking out six.

LBSU compiled 13 hits for the contest with sophomore first baseman Ino Patron leading the way. Patron went 3-for-4 with two RBI and three runs scored.

Avila went 1-for-3 with three RBI, while Bekakis and junior designated hitter Robert Vickers combined to go 4-for-8 from the plate with an RBI.

Sophomore reliever Jake Stassi worked two innings of scoreless baseball to close out Saturday’s win and the series victory.

The Dirtbags will play a non-conference game on the road against San Diego State on Tuesday before taking on UC Santa Barbara in a three-game series at Blair Field later in the week.