Men's Sports, Sports, Women's Sports

Athletics in review: From women’s soccer to men’s basketball

The 2011-2012 seasons were stellar for many of the Long Beach State sports teams.

From numerous Big West Conference titles, individual player accolades, record breaking careers and performances and storied NCAA tournament runs. This athletic year could go down as one of the best in the history of LBSU.

It all began with the women’s soccer teams’ Big West championship and unlikely run to the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament. The 49ers eventually lost to No. 3 Duke, finishing with an 18-6-1 overall record, and three players named to the NCAA All-West Region Team in Nadia Link, Shawna Gordon and Alex Balcer. Link was also named a Third-Team All-American. While the team will lose a number of key parts, Link will be back to lead the ‘Niners in defense of their Big West title.

Next, the women’s volleyball team finished with a 23-7 overall record, including an 11-2 mark in conference play which gave them the Big West title. Even though they were hampered by injuries for most of the season, the ‘Niners broke off 15 straight wins, the longest winning streak over the last ten years for LBSU. The 49ers lost their first round NCAA tournament match to the University of San Diego, ending their great season. The Beach will lose senior libero Laruen Minkel, and senior outside hitter Caitlin Ledoux to graduation, but should field a team worthy of defending the Big West crown.

The women’s basketball team came into the season with a lot of questions looming over their youth and inexperience. Senior forward Tipesa Moorer and head coach Jody Wynn led their squad to a season that surprised a lot of the pundits.

The Beach finished with a 14-18 overall record, including a 7-9 mark in Big West play. The real season started when LBSU made an uncanny run to the Big West tournament championship game with wins over No. 2-seeded Cal State Northridge, and No. 1-seeded Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. The ‘Niners lost a tough game to UC Santa Barbara for the automatic NCAA tournament bid which would have pitted them against Britney Griner and the Baylor Bears.

The men’s basketball team led by seniors Casper Ware, Larry Anderson, T.J. Robinson, and Eugene Phelps had one of the best seasons in the history of the program in 2011-12. LBSU finished with a 23-9 overall record, including a 14-1 record in the Big West with its lone loss coming against Cal State Fullerton in the last game of regular season play.

The 49ers then went on to win the Big West tournament, securing a spot in the NCAA tournament. The NCAA selection committee gave No. 12-seeded LBSU a matchup with fifth seeded New Mexico. The ‘Niners dropped hard-fought contest to the Lobos in Portland, Ore., ending the storybook careers of the four seniors.

Ware was named First-Team All-Big West, First-Team All-District 9, top-11 in the Bob Cousy Award, a Mid-Major All-American and an Honorable Mention All-American. Ware also finished his career as LBSU’s all-time leader in assists.

Robinson finished his career as the Big West’s All-Time rebounding leader with 1,208 and was named First-Team All-Big West.

Anderson was named First-Team All-Big West for the third time in his four years at LBSU, and was named the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year. Anderson also set an LBSU record with 206 steals over his career.

Phelps along with the other three seniors finished his career in the 1,000-point club. Phelps was also named Second-Team All-Big West.

Although these four seniors have finished their career’s LBSU head coach Dan Monson will have returning players Mike Caffey and James Ennis to help defend the Big West championship.

The inaugural sand volleyball season allowed the women of the indoor volleyball team another chance at a championship. The squad, led by head coach Brian Gimmillaro made it to the Final Four.

Gimmillaro said that being involved was a great experience.

“We did this with no scholarships or budget,” he said. “I would like to thank President Alexander and [Athletic Director] Vic [Cegles] for giving these 16 women another opportunity.”

He added: “Being in the finals for both team and individual was extraordinary.”

While the baseball and softball teams both got off to rough starts, they are both in Big West title contention, and each have a chance to move on to the NCAA tournament