Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports

No. 9 LBSU opens season with pair of blowout victories

The ninth-ranked Long Beach State men’s water polo team entered the season looking to build on the confidence that had swooned over the team in the weeks leading up to the Irvine Tournament.

They have every reason to believe after new additions Spencer White and Balint Meszaros carried the team to a pair of blowout victories Saturday at the Irvine Tournament.

The 49ers (2-0) defeated the University of Redlands, 17-5, and finished the day by doubling up Chapman University, 16-8.

White, who spent the offseason recovering from shoulder surgery, wasted no time contributing to his new team. The transfer from California paced the 49ers with five goals in the first game, and Meszaros recorded 21 saves for the 49ers in his first two starts in net for The Beach.

The Irvine Tournament has been little more than a training exercise for LBSU in years past, and this was no exception as the 49ers went unthreatened and cruised past their opponents.

“It was good to get some of the cobwebs out,” said 49ers head coach Gavin Arroyo, adding that some of the players were not completely comfortable with the system just yet.

While the 49ers have room to grow, the team showed that it has the ability to dominate long stretches of the game. The Beach scored eight unanswered goals in the second and third quarters against Redlands to turn a 5-3 lead into a ten-goal lead late in the third quarter.

White’s standout performance was assisted by junior center Dan Matulis and sophomore Joey Fabian, each of whom scored three goals in the win over the Bulldogs.

In the second game, Long Beach jumped out to a 4-0 lead behind two goals from captain Brian Schiefer and single goals from Dimitrios Lappas and Nathan McConnell. From there, LBSU remained in control due in large part to a 12-save performance by Meszaros.

Arroyo was impressed with the play of his new goaltender, saying that Meszaros was brought here to shut teams down and that he has “complete confidence in him.”

“We’re in the process of trying to win games,” Meszaros said. “I think my experience is going to help.”

Meszaros mentioned that, as in years past, the team’s goals start with a strong desire to make the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) Tournament.

The 49ers are filled with confidence and the players believe that every game is winnable this year. The tournament season, which continues with the Inland Empire Classic next weekend, presents its share of tests as the team grows and prepares itself for the grind of the conference schedule.

“Every team has their challenges,” said White of the obstacles that lie ahead. “I don’t think there are any insurmountable challenges in our path.”

The 49ers resume action on Saturday, when the team will travel to La Verne to play a double-header against Pomona-Pitzer and the University of La Verne.