Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Weekend forecast of sun and rainbows for Long Beach State

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team faces its biggest road tests of the season this weekend.

The Beach (7-6, 2-0 Big West Conference) will play against Cal State Northridge (11-4, 2-1 Big West) on Thursday and the eighth-ranked Hawaii Rainbow Wahine (10-2, 3-0 Big West) on Saturday.

LBSU head coach Brian Gimmillaro said much of the team’s potential success hinges on the health of reigning Big West Player of the Week Alma Serna, who has been limited in practice again this week after returning from an ankle injury.

The sophomore middle blocker led The Beach to two victories last weekend when conference play began with matches against Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara. She compiled 27 kills (including a career-high 16 on Friday) on .511 hitting for the weekend.

“We are more limited without her,” Gimmillaro said. “Everyone has improved, but [Serna] allows us to be more versatile, not just offensively but with our defense and counter-attack. If she can get in there and move, then we’re a different team.”

Serna’s presence at the net will be vital if The Beach hopes to contend with CSUN’s size and strength.

“Northridge is a really big, good blocking team,” Gimmillaro said. “That gives us problems depending on Alma’s health. If she’s physically OK, then we can move the ball around more so their block isn’t as big a factor.”

The Matadors are paced at the net by three of the top 10 blockers in the Big West. The trio of Casey Hinger, Sam Kual and Sydney Gedryn has combined for 179 total blocks on the season.

The Northridge attack is led by a pair of junior outside hitters. Britney Graff has 157 kills and 118 digs on .207 hitting and Mahina Haina has contributed 155 kills while hitting at a .188 clip.

After the trip to the valley, the ‘Niners will head to Honolulu for a showdown with the No. 8 Rainbow Wahine.

Hawaii is anchored by junior outside hitter and Los Alamitos native Emily Hartong, who has tallied 190 kills to go along with 101 digs on .264 hitting. Her average of 4.13 kills per set leads the Big West.

When the Matadors and Rainbow Wahines met last week, Hawaii was pushed to the brink but pulled out a five-set victory to remain undefeated in conference play.