Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Women’s volleyball team to finish season out of contention for playoff spot

After a pair of Big West Conference losses over the weekend, a quarter-century streak of NCAA tournament appearances for the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team is almost assuredly over.

With an 11-11 (6-5 Big West) record, The Beach has dropped to 77th in the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI). Even if the team were to win each of its seven remaining matches, strength of schedule would likely hinder it from being considered for an at-large bid and a 26th-consecutive tournament appearance.

The ‘Niners will travel to northern California this weekend to take on Pacific (17-7, 5-6 Big West) and UC Davis (12-12, 6-5 Big West).

Of all the teams left on the 49ers’ schedule, Pacific boasts the highest RPI. Unfortunately for The Beach, a win over the 71st-rated Tigers would have a minimal affect on its postseason eligibility.

On Friday, The Beach will look to contain the Tigers and junior outside hitter Megan Birch, who is sixth in the conference with 322 kills to go along with 44 digs on .216 hitting.

The ‘Niners defeated the Tigers in straight sets earlier in the season, but a slew of injuries to key players has since depleted the LBSU lineup.

Despite the limitations presented by a lack of healthy players, LBSU head coach Brian Gimmillaro said his team will continue to persevere and play hard with the available lineup.

“It’s about character, and it’s about how you react under adverse circumstances,” he said. “I’m happy to have what we have on the court, and we’ll just fight with what we have. It’s not the plan, but I feel lucky to have what we have.”

On Saturday, The Beach will play the Aggies, who are paced by Allison Whitson. The senior outside hitter is fifth in the Big West with 334 kills and 286 digs on .163 hitting.

Victoria Lee anchors UCD at the net. The freshman middle blocker is third in the conference with 110 total blocks to go with 154 kills on .313 hitting.

The Beach defeated UCD in four sets at home last month.

Both matches are set for 7 p.m.