Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports

49ers lose first overtime match of season

There are games that count, and then there are big games.

The Long Beach State men’s water polo team missed a golden opportunity to solidify itself as a playoff contender, suffering a crushing triple overtime defeat to No. 7 Pacifc, 14-13, Sunday at the Campus Pool.

The 49ers (19-7, 1-4 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) lost their third straight game since upsetting California on the road Oct. 27. It was a tough loss for The Beach, but ‘Niners head coach Gavin Arroyo did not try to sugarcoat anything.

“If you don’t get out in front at home, it makes it dangerous for the home team,” Arroyo said. “We were frozen defensively.”

LBSU came into the game tied with the Tigers for the seventh spot in the national ranking. Pacific (11-7, 2-2 MPSF) took their first meeting of the season at the So Cal Tournament, 11-10.

Five 49ers had multi-goal games, while Aleksandar Petrovic paced the Tigers with four goals in the contest.

The game was a heated affair, as the two teams could not get separated on the scoreboard nor from each other. Referees whistled the players for 20 penalties, and a skirmish ensued at the conclusion of the first overtime. LBSU’s Carter Taylor and Pacific’s Kevin Oliveira received match ejections for their roles in the confrontation.

Up until the game-winning goal by Balazs Erdelyi with 1:40 left in the third overtime, little could be done to discern a winner. As a prize fight that goes the distance, this game would be decided by a split decision, with Erdelyi’s golden goal acting as the third and deciding score.

Neither team held a lead at the end of any quarter. Despite a myriad of shot blocks by the 49er defense, the team allowed too many shots to be directed toward the goal. Balint Meszaros was called upon to keep the 49ers on numerous occasions. The first-year 49er starter came up with 13 saves, including a game-saving stop on a 6-on-5 disadvantage for the ‘Niners in the second overtime.

“Balint played great in the overtime,” Arroyo said.

Meszaros, however, did not have the same success against UCLA. The 49er goalkeeper allowed 13 goals on 20 shots, and the 49ers were buried early. The Bruins (22-2, 4-0 MPSF) scored five of the first six goals of the match and held an 8-2 lead at half time.

The man in net at the other end was impressive against the 49ers. UCLA goalkeeper Matt Rapacz stymied the 49ers throughout the game as he made ten saves, including a stop on a Zacchary Kappos’ penalty shot.

Arroyo said that the Bruins’ senior was an established netminder, but he was displeased with his team’s offensive effort.

“I think we made him look pretty good,” Arroyo said.

The 49er losses will likely bump Pacifc ahead in the national rankings. LBSU has games remaining against Pepperdine, UC Irvine and UC Santa Barbara to end the season. In all likelihood, the 49ers will have to win at least one of those games to qualify for the MPSF tournament. If the 49ers defeat the Anteaters (14-9, 0-6 MPSF) next Sunday, it would all but clinch a playoff berth for Arroyo’s squad.

LBSU will return to the pool Thursday night to take on Pepperdine at the Campus Pool.