Men’s basketball: 49ers take Big West opener with help from transfers

Christmas came a few days late for the Long Beach State men’s basketball team, as it received the services of two long-awaited players.

Transfers Tony Freeland (DePaul) and Keala King (Arizona State) became eligible this week, and both contributed solid minutes in Saturday’s Big West Conference-opening victory over Pacific.

Freeland tallied 15 points on 4-of-5 shooting from the field and 7-of-8 from the free-throw line in 35 minutes as The Beach (5-7, 1-0 Big West) defeated the Tigers (6-7, 0-1) 67-63.

“I knew the first five minutes would be kind of tough and I got tired, so after that I gradually worked myself back into the game,” Freeland said of his first full-speed game action in more than a year.

After an abysmal first half in which LBSU had no assists and 11 turnovers en route to only 21 points, the 49ers responded with a season-high 46 after the break. The Beach trailed by as many as 11 during the first frame.

Sophomore Mike Caffey and senior James Ennis anchored the comeback with 19 points apiece. Caffey, who scored 15 after the break, shot 3-of-5 from behind the three-point line, with all three successful attempts coming in the second half.

The sophomore guard said the win can work to make a statement about the ‘Niners ability to contend in the conference.

“It lets teams know we’re here to play, even without those guys from last year,” he said. “It’s going to motivate us for the next game. [Pacific] is a big team in the conference, so we’re going into the next game feeling good.”

Junior forward Dan Jennings was the fourth 49er to reach double figures, as he contributed 10 points and seven rebounds, four of which were on the offensive end.

Head coach Dan Monson gave Pacific credit for its defensive scheme, saying the team always makes LBSU work for all of its points.

“I’ve never played Pacific, with Casper Ware, Larry Anderson or anybody, where guys didn’t get frustrated,” he said. “You’ve got to score in different ways against them. You’ve got to score in transition, you’ve got to score at the foul line, you’ve got to score with offensive rebounds.”

Monson added that he is impressed by the early signs of continuity with the insertion of the transfers into the lineup.

“This is game one for us as a group,” he said. “I really was pleased with the attitude and effort. It was a good energy as a group. Hopefully now we can start getting some offensive flow back to our game. Our versatility has really changed with the additions of those kids.”

The Tigers were paced by Lorenzo McCloud and Trevin Harris, who scored 13 points apiece. Harris added six boards and two assists.

The Beach returns to action Thursday when it travels to face Cal Poly (5-6, 1-0) at 7 p.m.