Tyler Lamb welcomed to LBSU following transfer

When Tyler Lamb takes the Pyramid floor next season as a member of the Long Beach State men’s basketball team, he is expected to bring not only a strong skill set at both ends of the court but also invaluable experience.

Lamb announced his decision to transfer to LBSU from UCLA earlier in the month after a knee injury allowed him to play in only one game this season. He will be eligible to suit up for the 49ers after the fall 2013 semester for what will qualify as his junior season.

“I didn’t want to waste my junior year trying to recover and barely playing due to the timing of the injury,” Lamb said.

The guard averaged 9.0 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game last season for the Bruins.

Lamb eventually narrowed his potential transfer destinations to LBSU and San Diego State. He said both programs had a lot to offer, but Long Beach was closer to home and provided a better situation for him.

“It was the best fit for me,” he said. “I’m excited to be here. What I’m going to bring to this team is a sense of leadership out there on the court and experience. I played two years of Division-I basketball, and I learned a lot from [UCLA head coach Ben Howland]. I’m just going to incorporate what coach Monson is teaching here and hopefully have a great season and win the Big West.”

Lamb was also attracted to LBSU by its improvement over the last few years and its potential going forward.

“Long Beach State is a program on the rise,” he said. “Another thing that’s attractive is their preseason schedule. They play all the top teams. I want to play against the best players, and I think being in coach Monson’s system, with that schedule, he allows us to do that.”

Lamb will join a core group of Mike Caffey, Keala King, Tony Freeland and Dan Jennings, all of whom are Division-I transfers except Caffey.

LBSU head coach Dan Monson said he was reluctant at first to take on any more midseason transfers after having three this season, but he was convinced by Lamb’s excitement about the opportunity to learn and grow as a 49er.

“Originally we weren’t going to do it,” Monson said. “When I talked to Tyler and his dad I just was impressed with his vision and his maturity on why he was doing it. What he wants from our program is the same as what I want for him. We never talked about minutes or shots, just about being a better person and better basketball player and getting a degree. If those are his priorities, then they fit my priorities. As a player you know he’s good enough, and if those things
fit in, he’ll be a great addition to this program.”

Another important factor in Lamb’s decision was his long-standing relationship with King, his former teammate in high school and in travel ball.

“I couldn’t be more excited,” King said. “That’s like my brother. Once I heard that he was making options to leave UCLA, I was on the phone and said, ‘Bro, we can probably make history if you come to the 49ers.’ Once he gets on the court, it’s going to be magic; everyone’s going to see.”
King said Lamb would fit well into next year’s lineup.

“He’s going to be a great pickup after James [Ennis] when he leaves,” he said. “He’s going to add another notch of scoring and rebounding, and he’s really good on defense, so he’s going to be another key guard to play on the other team’s best player. We’re just excited to have him on board.”

The guards played together at Mater Dei. Lamb led the Monarchs to a 32-2 record during his senior year, a season in which he averaged 18.9 points, seven rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.7 steals per game.

“We know each other’s games,” Lamb said of his relationship with King. “We’ve been playing with and against each other since we were in middle school, so it’s a great feeling. I think it’s going to be magic when we get out there together.”

When the 2013 holiday season rolls around, the team expects to become much stronger behind the leadership and skill set of its new addition.