Taking it one game at a time

The top video on the results page of a YouTube search for Jeff McNeil shows the Long Beach State second baseman hitting an inside-the-park home run during a summer league game.

A few results later, there is a clip of McNeil stealing home during a 2011 California Collegiate League game. Another scroll down will reveal a video of the junior working the count in a Cape Cod League game last summer.

The second video on the page features another collection of swings – but not with a baseball bat.

In the video, Jeff is shown taking dozens of swings with various golf clubs. He displays a fluid lefty motion that results in a sweeping draw in which the ball starts far outside but is brought back to center by fierce topspin and sidespin.

In high school, McNeil was as much of a star golfer as he was a standout baseball player. He won Nipomo High School’s MVP award and earned first-team All-League honors all three years he played.

He also participated in the ultra-competitive U.S. Junior Amateur golf tournament.

“That was one of the best experiences of my life, playing Trump National with some of the best junior golfers in the world,” McNeil said. “That was an awesome experience.”
McNeil didn’t make it past the first stage of stroke play though, as he shot 74-89 to combine for 163 over two rounds. Not too long after, he had a decision to make.

McNeil had just broken through to an elite level of golf. At the same time, however, he was “playing fall baseball again and started to love it.”

McNeil, who led Nipomo with a .446 batting average in his only year of high school baseball, chose the baseball diamond over the golf course and decided to play for the Dirtbags in college.

“You only get one chance to play baseball collegiately,” he said. “If baseball doesn’t work out there’s always golf, but right now I’m just focusing on this.”

Right now, baseball appears to be working out just fine. McNeil, who has started the majority his games at second base but can also play shortstop and outfield, was the only Dirtbags player to participate in the prestigious Cape Cod League this summer. He led the Brewster Whitecaps with 22 runs scored and was one of two regular starters to hit over .300. He also stole five bases in his 40 games played.

“I’m much more confident,” McNeil said. “Playing out there against the best players in the nation … it’s a great honor just knowing that if you can compete with them, you can compete with anyone.”

LBSU head coach Troy Buckley said that while McNeil faces some of the best players in the nation because of the Dirtbags’ tough schedule, his time in the Cape Cod League has strengthened his game.

“I think the Cape is always another benchmark for you with the different environment, the wood-bat type of things and to know where you stand in the big picture of the high end of amateur baseball,” Buckley said. “But yes, he has improved. Some of that could be directly due to the Cape, but I think just the fact that he’s playing a lot, and now he’s playing baseball full-time [is a big part of that].”

With his stellar performance in the Cape Cod League, McNeil may be on the radar of more MLB scouts than before. High-quality play in the league often results in higher draft stock for players. McNeil, however, said he isn’t worried about playing in the pros just yet. The same can’t be said about his younger brother Ryan.

Ryan McNeil, a pitcher who had committed to LBSU, was selected in the third round of the MLB Amateur Draft this summer. He decided to join the Chicago Cubs’ farm system instead of the Dirtbags’ roster.

“It was all his choice,” Jeff McNeil said. “I think it’s awesome for him, and it’s a great opportunity. It’s everyone’s goal to play Major League Baseball … I’ll miss him here obviously, but he’s doing great things for the Cubs.”

While Ryan McNeil reports to spring training in Arizona, Jeff McNeil will be in Long Beach leading the Dirtbags as they try to win their first Big West title in five years.