Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

WBB: 49ers defeat CSUN, fall to Hawaii at home

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team got a split in its two-game homestand after bouncing back with a 70-63 win over Cal State Northridge on Saturday at the Walter Pyramid.

Before facing CSUN (11-12, 6-5 Big West Conference), LBSU was on a three-game losing streak and had lost six of its last eight games. The frustration heightened for head coach Jody Wynn after her team suffered its second home loss in conference play. The 49ers lost 61-54 to Hawai’i (11-11, 7-4 Big West) on Thursday to fall two games under .500.

The 49ers (11-12, 5-6 Big West) fell short despite sophomore forward Ella Clark scoring her personal season-high 17 points.

Although the ‘Niners held Hawai’i standout Kamilah Martin to just seven points, the junior forward grabbed 12 rebounds. Consequently, Hawai’i dominated the rebounding battle with a 49 to 28 advantage.

However, the ‘Niners turned things around against CSUN to grab their first win since defeating UC Irvine two weeks ago.

“We lost three games prior to this, and I felt our attention to detail, our focus and our discipline down the stretch of games was non‐existent,” Wynn said. “The girls did a phenomenal job of not getting rattled today. They continued to believe and hone in on the details of what we needed to do.”

Sophomore center Devin Hudson lifted The Beach with 15 points and eight rebounds, while point guard Alex Sanchez put up 13 points, seven rebounds, and six assists. Sophomores Lauren Spargo and Bianka Balthazar both added 11 points.

CSUN held the edge on boards by outrebounding LBSU 57 to 39.

Freshman center Camille Mahlknecht and senior forward Violet Alama combined for 36 rebounds en route to the Matadors grabbing 31 offensive rebounds compared to the 49ers’ 10.

“Obviously, we still gave up offensive rebounds,” Wynn said. “But our positioning was better, and our attention to detail offensively was better. We moved the ball and we didn’t play scared and turn it over. We really have emphasized trying to keep our focus even through adverse situations.”

The victory over CSUN on Breast Cancer Awareness Night was especially emotional for the ‘Niners guard Sanchez, who lost her mother in 2001 due to the fatal disease.

“Honestly, every game is for my mom,” Sanchez said. “This game obviously is more special, because it’s for breast cancer.”

After a layup by junior transfer Jade Wilson put the 49ers up 10-8 with just over five minutes in, LBSU jumped out to take a 13-point lead at the 8:42 mark.

The ‘Niners held a convincing 11-point lead after Hudson’s layup with 2:35 remaining, but the Matadors went on a 6-2 run to cut the deficit to just seven points at 32-25 to close the half.

The Matadors then started the second half with a 13-5 run in the first five minutes, capped by a Marta Masoni 3-pointer to take a 38-37 lead.

LBSU quickly regained its lead, as Chantel Dooley answered by hitting a three. But the Matadors’ Ashlee Guay, who scored 13 points in the first half alone, tied the game at 40 with a layup on the ensuing possession.

With the game tied at the 14:17 mark, CSUN made a 14-6 run in the next seven minutes to take a 54-46 lead.

However, the 49ers rallied back by scoring seven of their next 11 points from the free throw line to regain the lead at 57-56 with 2:43 remaining.

The ‘Niners hit five more free throws to pull away with the victory. They shot a season-high 38 free throws in the game.
After getting back on the win column with a much needed victory, the 49ers will hit the road for two weeks.

LBSU will start the three-game road swing at Cal State Fullerton on Thursday before facing UC Riverside and UC Irvine.