Holmes’ grand slam extends Long Beach State’s win streak

The Long Beach State softball team began the weekend extending its losing streak to four games at the Mary Nutter Classic in Cathedral City on Thursday, but managed to come out of it with a three game winning streak.

Pitcher Arianna Erceg started game one for the 49ers (7-6) but got knocked out early, as she allowed six runs over three innings in a 7-0 loss to Tennessee (13-2).

Amanda Hansen was brought in to slow down the Lady Volunteers’ offense over the remaining four frames but the effort was too late, as the ‘Niners’ offense never could get started.

The 49ers appeared to have synced their offense and pitching together by the end of game two, but Arizona (10-5) scored three runs on their final out win 4-3.

Working on a one-run complete game, starting pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley opened the seventh inning with two strikeouts. It was not until she gave up three walks and two doubles that she faced her final batter, after the Sun Devils brought in the go-ahead run.

A rest day on Friday helped turn things around for ‘Niners, as they won their remaining three games.

Starting pitcher Amanda Hansen held Oklahoma State’s (7-7) to three hits in a complete game on Saturday to earn the 49ers a 3-1 win.

The Beach’s offense started early with designated player Karli Sandoval’s sacrifice fly in the third inning that scored shortstop Shayna Kimbrough.

A double by centerfielder Leilani Tupua-Tautalatasi in the fourth inning-driving in first baseman Ashley Holmes and catcher Sarah Carrasco-aided Hansen’s solid start in sealing the victory for LBSU.

Sunday was the first doubleheader the ‘Niners had since Thursday, and the benefit of the extra rest given to them was evident.

Jones-Wesley pitched a complete game in the win over UNLV (5-10), allowing two runs and striking out 11 batters.
The 49ers’ offense continued its trend of early production, scoring four runs off three doubles and two singles in the second inning. Kimbrough led the offense with four hits and an RBI.

LBSU’s effort in compiling a winning streak nearly ended in the concluding game against Syracuse (4-5), where they were down to their final out and trailed 6-1.

Facing another disappointing loss, third baseman Hannah De Gaetano sparked the 49ers’ rally with a double to left field. Sandoval belted the next pitch over the outfield wall to cut The Beach’s deficit in half.

The comeback built up to a dramatic climax with loaded bases, two outs, and the chance for sophomore Holmes to define her first season as a 49er. That moment came as Holmes’ bat connected for a walk-off grand slam, taking the sting off of Arizona’s seventh inning comeback on Thursday to win 7-6.

LBSU will get to rehearse their success for next weekend’s San Diego State Classic tournament in an exhibition game against a Japanese professional team on Wednesday at the 49er Softball Complex at 2 p.m. The game will be the first of the season in front of a home crowd.